Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me...plz

Post Tell me...plz

I want to learn every thing i possibly can about computers but the problem is that I don't know anyone who will teach me, and most likely know one hear will teach me either and i respect that but I still want to learn all i can about computers. So all i'm asking is how did you guys (and girls) learn so much about computers ( I know most of you will answer by reading books but all i can afford is... free) so if you have links, e-books, advice, etc., it is welcome just people relpying to me would be a surprise to me and i'd like to thank all of you for your help in advance. Thx

These sites should get you on your way. They have a wide range of topics between them and will hopefully help you on your way.

http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/warp.ugu
    http://www.intelinfo.com/free_computer_books.html
    http://www.maththinking.com/boat/booksIndex.html
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

On the main page of 'AO' (this site), in the upper right side, you will find a box with this:
    Site Menu
    Home Page
    Fight-Back!
    Discussion Forums
    Security Downloads
    Security Text Files
    Top Links List
    Security Events
    Security News Groups
    Hacker Jargon
    Tools & Toys
    Site FAQ

Go to the one called 'Discussion Forums' and start reading. Window in 'Google' http://www.google.com
    and search out the term and/or terminology you don't understand.
    You can also go to 'Google" and search out beginning computer tutorials, and manuals. All free and online.
    Hope this helps you.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

read and play. setup a lab. format and reload. most importantly.. read. books are good, but you can read what is out on the web.
    most of the info you can find in books you can find on the web... you just have to look harder.

hand on experience is key... so try to solve as many problems for people as you can. troubleshooting will teach you a lot.

you've got one of the best resources at your fingertips... use it. google is your friend.

ask questions when you don't understand, but don't expect to be spoon fed everything.

search AO for ebooks and the like... there are members that have put together huge threads of just that.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Heres a link that should help you with almost any linux problem you may have --> The Linux Documentation Project Its helped me with quite a few linux problems. Basically its a massive collection of HOWTO files in many different formats for easy viewing in just about any OS available. Definately one for the bookmarks if you plan on getting into Linux.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

AO's Mr Grumpy
    A lot of good advice and links have already been covered, with special mention going to MemorY for his never ending supply of free ebooks. I would only add that an excellent resource is college and university web sites. Search Google and you will find them worldwide.
    This will also improve your searching skills, as you will have to find the Dept of Computing, Computing Faculty,Computing Science or whatever it happens to be called. Then find the Staff list, you wiil usually find that each Lecturer has a site with courses taught, with lecture notes, tutorials etc , along with various links to computer related material and their own published works etc. This will keep you occupied for quite some time,and will give you access to free education from some of the best computer brains in the world, all at your fingertips
    regards
    jm459
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Just Another Geek
    Read, read and read some more. And then (and this may sound a bit odd) try and explain it to somebody that knows less then you. By explaining it to somebody else how it works you are forced to think a bit harder about it. That way you will both learn
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by SirDice
    Read, read and read some more. And then (and this may sound a bit odd) try and explain it to somebody that knows less then you. By explaining it to somebody else how it works you are forced to think a bit harder about it. That way you will both learn
    I agree. Though... most of the time people don't want to listen to me talk about it... I dont have many computer geek friends... and those who are computer geeks still don't want to know it unless they HAVE to know it. I can barely get my boss to listen to me... and he is supposed to be my "mentor"...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

NUMBER 1. YOU do not have to be a computer geek to know about computers.
    NUMBER 2. If stupidity was a crime...you would have been executed a long time ago
    NUMBER 3. I suppose you're n0t a computer person, perhaps not a book person neither.
    NUMBER 4. *SEE ALL OF THE ABOVE*