Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me...plz

PCpunk, welcome!

If your after information and knowledgable people - whoa man! - you've come to the right place!

I commend you on your honesty. I am in a similar situation to you. If your anything like me, then the sheer volume of information available is sometimes staggering. It's hard to know where to start.

Disregard jerks like 1cehawk, they are few and far between but you come accross them sometimes.

Incidently, 1cehawk, if your going to give smartass comments like

NUMBER 1. YOU do not have to be a computer geek to know about computers.
    NUMBER 2. If stupidity was a crime...you would have been executed a long time ago
    NUMBER 3. I suppose you're n0t a computer person, perhaps not a book person neither.
    NUMBER 4. *SEE ALL OF THE ABOVE*
    maybe you should first prove your own '1337n355' rather than firing off comments like that with only 4 posts under your belt. Sorry, you must have been born knowing everything, right? I apologise if I read your post wrong however, it does reek of a 'know-it-all' attitude.

Anyway, PCpunk, I reccomend that you start out by 'getting to know your machine'. Explore the ins-'n-outs of both the physical machine and the software installed on it. Get to know your OS intimately, as well as a heap of reading (as said previously, Google is our friend )

Start out with basic file types and how they associate with each other, maybe get into a tutorial in regards to programming or HTML (web coding). Just try and work your way through the terms that you don't comprehend.

And remember, don't rush yourself. Computers are a world in themselves, so it's comparable to a student astronomer wanting to know everything about the universe right from the start. That is impossible. You have to start on the ground!

I wish you the best with your technical education.

D.
    [gloworange]Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz
    512MB PC2100 DDR-SD RAM
    RADEON 9600XT 256MB[/gloworange]

wow.....that post by 1cehawk is possibly the worst post I've seen since I've been here..... Anyway, I just wanted to recommend one thing. Since everyone else has already given you enough info (with ebooks, college sites, etc.) don't forget where you got all the information (here). If you really want to learn, then I'd recommend that you hang around AntiOnline for awhile. You can start out just by reading and contributing wherever you can, and you'll gradually be able to contribute more. You'll get plenty of chances to learn by teaching others as SirDice recommends and you'll also learn new stuff every day from more experienced users. So basically....I'd say just being involved AntiOnline is a great way to learn about computers.

start a project. try to work threw it by yourself. when you run into something you dont understand post a question here. Folks here... well we'll trip over each other trying to help as you can see
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

WELCOME PCpunk!! Make yourself at home.

I have a few of my fav. links (Tut, HowTo's) Here there are:

http://www.cprogramming.com/
    http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials...le.php/2231961
    http://blackviper.com/index.html
    http://www.winguides.com/security/ (thankyou to cheyenne1212)

Enjoy!!

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Tech TV!!!

Hey,
    I don't know about you guyz... But I didn't do a whole lota reading. I just picked up knowledge bit by bit (no pun intended) However, there is a TV channel out for geeks just like us... Its great, its got everything to do with computers... yes, even network security. check out their site... http://www.techtv.com Or you can order the channel! Which ever way you go, you can't loose.
    Hope this helps

Wink

I'm no guru, but one thing that has taught me the majority of general PC knowledge that I've picked up: I got into gaming.

Quit laughing, I'm serious :P
    Get into PC games, go to a lan or two, and find the guys who are showing the lan organisers how to set up the network properly. Get to be friends with them, and just hang around them with your ears open. Eventually you'll learn enough to start arguing with them, at which point you'll REALLY learn.

Dont get me wrong, books are brilliant, I've lived with my nose in one since I can remember (and probably before) but the brain picks up information fastest when it's coming in on several different channels, and chatting to a group of people is about the best you can do (until they build a Matrix-style direct jack to the cortex

Anyone know what 1cehawks' problem was? Dude has some serious anger management issues there... :P

I got a pc and played games, we got internet, games got boring, so I started looking for mods, I found map editors and made my own mods, then I got into programming, now I'm here!

Question Re: Tech TV!!!

Originally posted here by Turmoil
    ...However, there is a TV channel out for geeks just like us... Its great, its got everything to do with computers... yes, even network security. check out their site... http://www.techtv.com Or you can order the channel! Which ever way you go, you can't loose.
    Hope this helps
    <bitch>
    AAARRGGHHHHHH!!!! The UNFAIRNESS OF IT ALL!!
    </bitch>

..I feel a little better now....

Turmoil, that sounds awesome!! BUT - I'm in Australia and they don't seem to air it over here .

I have checked their website and they say a lot of things that, frankly, I would LOVE. I waited patiently for the 'International Connections' to load all the while thinking that, once again, I would be switching my TV on ( haven't used it for so long, i'd have to vaccume the dust off first). The list came up and - **** - nothing for Oz.

Sure, cable may be an option for some but unfortunately not me. I'm on a tight budget. I don't suppose there'd be any way to get it on my 'puter? I think that may only be viable with a cable connection, which I don't have either. Maybe I should just stick with reading the info off their website if that's the only option....

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all,

D.
    [gloworange]Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz
    512MB PC2100 DDR-SD RAM
    RADEON 9600XT 256MB[/gloworange]