Thread: Telnetting

Telnetting

Ok, I know this isn't a security related question, but the "how do I, etc" forum is for questions about AO and not general How Do I. So I'll just put this here.
    I have a small problem with telnetting. I go into my command prompt and telnet somewhere. So I type in:
    telnet www.website.com 80
    So then the command prompt clears all data and the title on the command prompt title is:
    Telnet www.website.com
    Now the problem is.....that I can't see anything that I type. The cursor moves along as I type and I can do stuff with it as long as I'm careful not to misspell anything, but it's a major pain in the butt to not be able to see what I'm typing.
    I've tried changing the colors of the command prompt, but I still can't see what I'm typing.
    I'm running XP OS. Is this normal? And if it isn't, how can I change it?
    Thanks for the help, and sorry if I put this in the wrong area.
    Watcher
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

try putty..

It's a lot better then the native winxp telnet..

I get a clear screen till I type my commands..
    then I get to see the result..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Goto the telnet options/preferences, and turn on the echo option. On sites that let you see your input, this will show double what you typed. For ex.

Site With Echo Avtivated, and telnet echo activated:

AA BB CC

The echo command just's "reflects" whatever you enter.

Hope this helps.
    3 Easy Steps To Fixing Windows (Permanently!)
    1) Insert Linux Installation CD (Any Distro)
    2) Read Included Documentation on \"Installing\"
    3) Install Linux

Hey One Who Watches,

Heh heh, I remember having the same problem as you did, or at least so I thought. See when your connecting to the website thats all that you are doing. You see there is no GUI when you connect to a webserver. The reason why your computer goes to port 80 is because it wants the requested URL's HTML (pardon the acronyms) so that it can be diplayed in your web-browser... these include netscape, explorer, etc... The reason you can't see what your typing is because that's just the way telnet is. If seeing your input is something that you must have, may I suggest an alternative....

http://www.arachnoid.com/easyterm/

This is a telnet emulator that will help you out.

If your wondering how you can retrive the HTML for the web-site via-telnet, simply use the GET command. There is a bunch of information here on that so good luck, hope this helps.

--Peace
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

Personally I use AbsoluteTelnet Telnet/SSH Client. You can download it here:
    http://download.com.com/3000-2155-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    3 Easy Steps To Fixing Windows (Permanently!)
    1) Insert Linux Installation CD (Any Distro)
    2) Read Included Documentation on \"Installing\"
    3) Install Linux

Banned
    Ok.. Start->Run->Telnet->'set localecho'

That should do it..

= Cheers, jag291 =

PS. Don't include quotes.

Yeah, Jaguar, actually I've tried that and it's not usable for me. If I actually go into telnet, like my command prompt says Microsoft Telnet> instead of C:> then i have a much harder time connecting to websites. I type in:
    Microsoft Telnet> open www.website.com 80 and it doesn't work. I can't connect. I looked at all the other commands in that area but open looks like the only command to us. But if I type:
    C:> telnet www.website.com 80 I connect no problem.
    So if I turn on the echo in normal C:> area it doesn't help me in telnet. So I don't know what to do.
    watcher
    \"The feeling of losing your mind is a terrible thing. But once it\'s gone, you\'re fine.\"
    Carrie Fisher

Banned
    I would suggest either of two things: A) You learn how to use telnet with some online tutorials or Microsoft's list of commands (found here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...t_commands.asp) or B) Get yourself a new telnet program..

= Cheers, jag291 =

Thanks for the link Jag. But it tells me to do exactly what I have been doing. It does, however, have a lot of good info that I will study. Hmmm....most disturbing. I do appreciate the help though.
    Carrie Fisher

the_JinX said it best, get putty. Putty works very well and is totaly free, get it here => http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!