HELP ME PLEASE ,my DOS DIED!!!!!!!

Thread: HELP ME PLEASE ,my DOS DIED!!!!!!!

HELP ME PLEASE ,my DOS DIED!!!!!!!

Hi
    I'm running WIN98 ,and 10 minutes ago i wanted to run good 'ol NETSTAT ,and WHAM,
    ALERT MESSAGE ERROR SAYING:

C:\windows\start menu\Programs\MS-DOS PROMPT.pif
    a device attached to the system is not functiniong.

>>>NEXT MESSAGE(when i press OK)<<<<<
    The object that 'C\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\MS-DOS Prompt.pif'
    refers to has been removed or is unaccesible
    >>>>>END<<<<<

So when i go to search for dos prompt(in the windows folder) it gives this message:
    C:\WINDOWS\dosprmpt.pif
    a device attached to the system is not functioning.
    >>>end<<<<

So does that mean i'm gonna hav to reinstall WIN(AGAIN!!!!!)?????

hav anyone got any advice for me??

Thank you for STRUGGLING WITH ME on this one

nad jus now i found out that I CANT REINSTALL WINDOWS->CAUSE I CANT RUN ANY OF ITS PROGRAMS IN DOS!!! and my connection freezes but doesn't disconnect(these two lines were added a day after the rest)
    CHEERS

sorry about the last two lines added-> like i said i could type this thing online(by the time i'm done my connection would be frozen STIFF) so when i came online i saw those needed saying.

and i saw that i dont have a DOS FOLDER no more ->damn DOS,they alwayz run away and DIE.
    i checked some WIN98 cd and didn't much that i could use,since anything that is *.EXE in dos,
    cant be run.
    i ran scandisk in windows and it says my config file is kinda ****ED
    Well imported an old REG and diddn't help
    Hope this one goes through(due to my damn ICE BALL connection)

cheers

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Try this, note the parts relating to MS-DOS

The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows 95
    Microsoft Windows 98
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

This article was previously published under Q139434
    SYMPTOMS
    When you try to run a Microsoft Visual Basic 3.0 program in Windows, or try to start an MS-DOS session, you may receive the following error message:

A device attached to the system is not functioning

When you click OK, the program or the MS-DOS session may not start.
    CAUSE
    This error message can occur if either of the following files is damaged or missing:

Vbrun300.dll
    Winoa386.mod
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method:

Method 1
    If you receive the error message when you try to run a Visual Basic 3.0 program in Windows, reinstall the Vbrun300.dll file. To do so, reinstall the Visual Basic 3.0 program that includes the Vbrun300.dll file on its Setup disks.

Method 2
    If you receive the error message when you try to start an MS-DOS session, extract a new copy of the Winoa386.new file from your original Windows disks or CD-ROM to the Windows\System folder, and then rename the Winoa386.new file to Winoa386.mod. To do this, follow these steps:

Extract the Winoa386.new file from your original Windows 95 disks or CD-ROM to the Windows\System folder. The Winoa386.new file is located in the following locations:

The Win95_03.cab cabinet file on the Windows 95 and Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2) CD-ROM.
    The Win95_03.cab cabinet file on disk 3 of the original Windows 95 DMF floppy disks.
    The Win95_04.cab cabinet file on disk 4 of the original Windows 95 non-DMF floppy disks.
    The Win98_45.cab cabinet file on the Windows 98 CD-ROM.
    For information about using the Extract tool, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    ARTICLE-ID: 129605
    TITLE : How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files

At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

cd\windows\system
    ren winoa386.mod winoa386.old
    ren winoa386.new winoa386.mod

Restart your computer.
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)