Win XP, and Win 98 Networking.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win XP, and Win 98 Networking.

Win XP, and Win 98 Networking.

Right now I have two computer networked together. One computer is running XP pro, the other computer is running Win 98 SE. Just a couple days ago I could access my shares on the Win 98 box. However, just today when I first booted up I saw my shared folders but received this message when I tried to access them "Shared1(computer with Win 98) is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the network to find out if you have permissions". So I thought well maybe the passwords I put on the Win 98 Box have something to do with it. I took off all my passwords but still got the same message. I then rebooted all my computers, and the router, but when the computers booted back up it doesn't even show that I have any shared folders. On my router I have three lights Link/Act Full/COL 100. The Link/act and Full/COl lights are green but the 100 light is yellow.

btw: I use a LInksys 4 port router

I have my network using DHCP right now. The ip of my Win 98 Computer is 192.168.1.101, My XP computer is 192.168.1.100, and my router is the default 192.168.1.1. My Win 98 computer can ping the router but can't ping the computer with XP. The XP computer can ping everything, the router, and the Win 98 machine. I checked all my wires, and everything else but couldn't find anything wrong. Just two days ago this was working. I come back from fising and now its not. I checked the Workgroup names and everything checked out there. The computers were in the same workgroup.
    =

Yes like stated above it is a LInksys Router. I bought it a week ago.

Model number is BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router. I have my DSL hooked up to it right now.
    =

On your WIN 98 computer.....create the share, allow 'all'. LOGOFF the computer and Log back on. (hitting the 'cancel' or 'esc' cancels MS networking on a Win98 computer)
    Also, ensure BOTH computers have 'obtain IP address automatically' set. Make sure you haven't inadvertantly put in a subnet, or default router, or DNS server somewhere.

I doubt if it has anything to do with the router....since both PC's get IP addresses.

I guess I can see if there are any firmware updates for the router but I think its somewher in the transmision part. Like I said up there I have three lights on the router Three Lights for each computer connected to the router. Two of the lights are green, Link/Act Full/Col, and one is yellow which is the one that says 100.

Both computers are set to automatically obtain there IP addresses. Also on my WIN 98 Box the shares that I hav allow all, and there is no password. I've tried logging off, rebooting, hitting the computer, ect. I've double checked every setting
    =

Just to let you know this has happened to me even between 2 XP computers I run the same Linksys router. I take the router off and try to connect it still doesn't work. It seems to be something gets corrupted somewhere but it doesn't work until I reformat. Not to say you should reformat but I have looked and looked for a long time on google and stuff to try to fix this and I can't find a thing. A reformat works for me. Something with Windows which doesn't surprise me because my linux boxes have not the same problems... Good luck and if you find how to fix it post back here please because I have had the same problem and would like to knows how to fix it.

cheyenne1212:
    if I were troubleshooting it...
    since you can ping the 98box from xp, but not ping xp from 98

check that the xpbox has the firewall disabled (the xp firewall)

reinstall tcp/ip on both boxes.

if you have any personal firewall... allow your whole network, or at least the range that your dhcp uses

check to see if you have killed any services that you may need

reinstall your NICs

try a different ports on the router

if you can't ping either using the router... or using a switch... then you know the router shouldn't be the problem.

I think it has to do with tcp/ip though

try the netbios protocols... you don't NEED tcp/ip to share files... netbios will work, it just isn't routable. you will still need tcp/ip to get online though

check to see that you have the same usernames and passwords on both pcs

I'm out of ideas ATM... I've had this problem with 2 win2k boxes... where they could ping everything and file sharing setup properly, with userids and everything... the only thing that fixed it in that situation was a reinstall (not format... just reinstall over itself and restore everything else from backup)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

You might want to try and remove the networking protocols on the 98 machine and try adding them back again. This will requie the 98 installation files.

I'm not where the computers are right now but when I get there in the morning I'll try to redo my TCP/IP protocols.

I do have the XP firewall disabled but I do have a norton firewall. I'll try allowing my network IP range on that and see what happens. I'll let you know what happnes tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.
    =

Firewall ?..........Disable it !!!!

The linksys is a router/firewall

I've seen this before on a Win98 box and Win2K box - my solution was to ensure that I was logged in as the same username on both boxes, as phishphreek80 stated as one of his ideas. My guess is that the router isn't going to have anything to do with it, it's more of those mysterious things that Windows does.

You might try disabling the Norton firewall for troubleshooting this issue, but it shouldn't hurt to have it running normally, even though your Linksys is acting as a firewall. The more security the better in this case...
    - Maverick