Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Jump into Linux

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    I gather that linux used to be considered hard because it was ALL command line stuff (Dos used to be considered hard for the same reason).
    It still is command line , and that's the fun of it.... Sure there are nicer GUI's and stuff, but configuring is easier and more functional for me (although I had to curse a lot, still do , hehehe).
    for.ex. samba server. Configuring that via gui never worked for me. I tried the via command line and, poof first time right.

Anyway... you'll never stop learning in linux, my guess...
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Originally posted here by Talith
    Wow~! You guys are great, now to figure out which Linux I want. SuSe of course looks very appealing, but Mandrake would also be fun to get. I think I'll go with Suse though, and the price and cost of it! Professional edition, only 70 bucks as compared to the 200+ that microsoft wants us to pay for its "Windows XP PRO". Thanks a lot guys, which book would you suggest me getting phishphreak? Theres a lot of books out there, dont wanna get one too advanced for my use. Also, what is a distro? I looked on google for it, but just found some stuff for a recording company, Ill take a look though through the search and see if I can find out. Thanks again guys, you're the best!
    Since you are planning on purchasing a copy and not downloading it... I would say have a look see at the books that come with SuSE. Gore says that the docs from that are pretty good.

I use Red Hat myself, and have the Red Hat Bible and I have a couple of other ones.
    I personally like Using Linux Unix and Linux Complete and the online docs. The OS itself has tons of docs too, so you don't have to read online... you can read locally too.

One command you will want to get to know right away from CLI (command line)

man
    man = manual pages

man ls
    will give you a whole little manual about the command ls which lists files

also if you put a --help after your command you will get a shorter version most* of the time.

ls --help

have phun learning linux!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Have to agree with most of you, Linux is not that difficult. I think that one of the issues is that Microsoft wants the world to beleive that Linux is very difficult and that you better can use M$ products. Also microsft makes good products, but it is all part of PR and $.

Linux is free (you can even download ISO for free and make your own copy of linux) and when you play around with it for a while you will get used to the somewhat different approach. (Shell, Open source, Software sharing, etc.) Very powerfull OS.

Another misunderstanding is that Linux is 100% secure compared to Microsoft products, but Linux also has Bugs&Vulns and need to be hardened, upgraded and patched freq.
    Just like MS.

Take best of both worlds!!

If you have a moderately large HD, you could dual boot. Grub loader works great and is a simple install from RH. And I suggest that the first install will not be your best, one of the beauties of Linux is configuration is left to your imagination, and needs. No one knows everything that is happening in Windows, given time you can get very good at seeing what is going on in Linux. I like the text level configuration, simple.

You are going to load up linux and say.... "Wow I should have loaded this thing a looooong time ago."

Welcome to the collective.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Grub loader works great and is a simple install from RH.
    Mine is LILO but like almost everything it's a matter of flavor.
    Installing linux is like assembling your perfect woman, each piece you can find at dozens of flavors.
    The OS itself is the body, .....etc...

Just try the one that you think would suit you best...
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Originally posted here by 3r2
    If you have a moderately large HD, you could dual boot.
    Just wondering how big of a HD do you suggest me having before I dual install? I just have a 40gb hard drive right now, but almost 1/5 of it is taken up by my stuff (games,etc..) Is 40 enough to dual boot with Linux and Win98?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me! You guys are the best!

Originally posted here by Talith

Just wondering how big of a HD do you suggest me having before I dual install? I just have a 40gb hard drive right now, but almost 1/5 of it is taken up by my stuff (games,etc..) Is 40 enough to dual boot with Linux and Win98?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me! You guys are the best!

40 GBs is more than enough, have fun.