Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Jump into Linux

First Jump into Linux

Currently, Im runnin Windows 98SE . I know, I know, I thought about getting Linux, but all my friends said that It would be really hard for a novice user (being me) to run it. I heard that it is very programming intensive. What I would like to know is, what do I need to know to install Linux? Would I need an intensive programming background? So far I just have an immensely basic knowledge of Visual Basic, and JAVA. Should I stick with WIN98SE, or with your guys' help, jump into the exciting world of Linux? ALL HAIL THE PENGUIN!

Would I need an intensive programming background?
    no! you just need to know how to follow instructions. Linux is WELL documented.

Linux isn't that hard to learn... its just different from m$. for some reason.. people equate different to hard with it comes to linux. Now if you plan on programming for linux.. (which you'll need to know the OS inside and out before you do this) you'll want to know perl, c, c++ and misc other languages.

http://www.tldp.org/tldp-redirect.php?url=/

check out that link. there is a document there for almost everything you want to do with linux
    if not.. it is at www.google.com/linux

if you want to "test drive" linux and you have broadband, or know someone who does... pickup a copy of a distro that runs completely from CD. You just boot to it. you can see how it is. www.knoppix.org or www.suse.com even has one

I too thought it was going to be hard... but it is not. get a good linux book and search the web for what you want to do. there is TONS of documentation...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

several linuxses are as easy as windows to install(redhat,mandrake,suse) , just make sure your hardware is supported and search these forums and you will find many good opinions on the subject .
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

I'm new to Linux also but as far was Linux being programing intesive I would say it is definitely not. From what I've heard Suse is the linux distro with the best GUI. I personally use Red Hat Linux www.redhat.com, and Mandrake linux www.mandrake-linux.com. Like Phishphreek said, Linux is well documented. It was pretty easy to use since it has a since it has a GUI. Just play around with it and see if you want to try it.
    =

Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    I'm new to Linux also but as far was Linux being programing intesive I would say it is definitely not. From what I've heard Suse is the linux distro with the best GUI. I personally use Red Hat Linux www.redhat.com, and Mandrake linux www.mandrake-linux.com. Like Phishphreek said, Linux is well documented. It was pretty easy to use since it has a since it has a GUI. Just play around with it and see if you want to try it.
    Best GUI is an understatement!

SuSE owns.

http://www.suse.com

Wow~! You guys are great, now to figure out which Linux I want. SuSe of course looks very appealing, but Mandrake would also be fun to get. I think I'll go with Suse though, and the price and cost of it! Professional edition, only 70 bucks as compared to the 200+ that microsoft wants us to pay for its "Windows XP PRO". Thanks a lot guys, which book would you suggest me getting phishphreak? Theres a lot of books out there, dont wanna get one too advanced for my use. Also, what is a distro? I looked on google for it, but just found some stuff for a recording company, Ill take a look though through the search and see if I can find out. Thanks again guys, you're the best!

I gather that linux used to be considered hard because it was ALL command line stuff (Dos used to be considered hard for the same reason). Distro is short for distribution, isn't it? ie a particular collection of apps and utils wrapped around the linux kernel...?

Banned
    Linux and Windows just have different learning curves. (WinSUE is just plain basic and needn't be considered.)
    Linux has a more steep learning curve at the bottom end than NT does, but the NT curve goes much deeper as a result of it's greater functionality. This is why many users think linux is hard (initially more difficult, but can be mastered in no time) and that NT sucks (they never fully learn the full depth of its abilities, even most MCSEs manage to be quite ignorant.)

For most home users with an interest in computers and low security requirements, Linux is the ideal choice as a result of its price and the fact that it is more engaging. Mostly a result of its very poor documentation, but then hey... that's excitement, right?

catch

I have to largely agree with Catch on this one (heh)

Whilst your Windows 98 might be a lot simpler than a Linux distribution, as Catch suggests, a modern (say Windows 2000 server) has a lot more complicated bits underneath if you know about them.

What I like about Linux, and I recommend to anyone who feels the same, is the feeling of control - you can see what's going on, and turn it off if you don't like it. The same can't (usually) be said with Windows.

Also, while giving a pretty UI, some of the server bits in Windows 2000 (NT to a lesser extent) are actually pretty complicated, and work in a non-trivial and counter-intuitive way. I always felt that the underlying semantics were what made something hard, not how pretty (or not) the GUI works.

You try setting up file replication in Windows 2000 server ... it may have a pretty GUI but it's still a b^H female dog

er0k
    dude, (m/f doesnt matter, still a dude) Linux is the first step to actually achieving realization of your skill. What you need to do, is jump headlong into linux, realize that you aren't good with it, read manuals, books, tutorials, etc, then go back to it... you will then realize your potential...

(sorry, a bit outta my head)