Thread: Palm m500

Banned

Palm m500

About a week ago I got a free m500 and still haven't thought of anything to do with it! So... can anyone suggest something fun I could do (i.e. replace the OS, etc.) with it... most importantly this should cost me $0.... any ideas/suggestions will be appreciated..

= Cheers, jag291 =

And don't tell me to sell it or use it... because that's not fun!!!

Tear it apart.

Play with the system settings.
    =

How about loading linux on it? I'm not sure how full it is... but its a start....

http://palm-linux.sourceforge.net/
    http://palm-linux.sourceforge.net/#download

Oh, I should note that that linux doesn't actually overwrite the palm OS... more like dual booting... except to get back to the Palm OS you have to do a reset and loose ALL data.

This will cost you a bit of $$ IF you have a USB cradle. You will need a serial...
    I modified the Palm Loader a little bit and finally the new prc image works on my Palm m500. Since Palm m500 comes with USB cradle, user has to get a serial cradle or cable. 9600-8N1 settings and I only put a sash in the romdisk, proc filesystem will be mounted automatically, type 'reboot' to go back to Palm OS.
    Read more docs on the site to be sure though... I have not actually tried this, so this may not be true. I know I have seen palm m500 cradles on ebay a while back for like $5.00....

Have phun and keep us updated on what you do with it. I like messing with the palms.
    I actaually use mine m500 and m505... but I'd like to tear apart some older ones I have.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I would like to have an old one to use as well. I cannot be without my M515. I use it constantly. In fact life sux without it.

You can download vexxed and try and beat the puzzles, some will give you a headache.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Oh! I also had a old palm 3 and made it into a command center for my home entertainment pieces. There is some free software that turns it into a programable remote control using the IR port. It can be fun because you can learn the actual IR codes and use them instead of the pre-canned stuff. It's all on Google and it's been a few years so I can't get more specific without taking a moment to type "Palm Remote" "Remote control software for Palm" and the like, but try those and then "IR Commands" etc. You could have a badass remote for all your gear that is menu driven. Now the sad part.... palm IR is WEAK so it won't reach across a big room but a small room is ok. They make some "IR Amplifiers" to put on the front end but my GF bought me a kick ass Sony so I spent a weekend programming that last august and love it. Using a palm and some work, you can control all sort of cool shibby.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Banned
    Reviewing the posts... I'm still lost... I would like to change the OS but I was thinking more of going toward Windows, not Linux (due to the fact I'm running XP on my computer and compatability and etc.)... and as for taking it apart.. its been done, opened the back of it... nothing too interesting, and I've probably been through all the setting atleast twice....

@RoadClosed: Where can I get that free remote software.... my dad has it on his iPAQ, its from Nevo (lots of fun), but I've yet to see any free software that acts as a remote for the Palm OS? As for the IR being weak, I haven't had any problems with it... I've transfered info from my Palm to a friend's from about a good 30 feet...

= Thanks, jag291 =

IR Boost - They must of boosted the output quite a bit on the later models. As far as I know, Windows CE isn't available for the M500 but you could try and get some software just to see.

You are right, I could't quickly find any free software, I looked at a couple of pages of searches, I am sure they are still there - keep trying. www.downloads.com has a mobile tab and under there you can find many shareware versions of remote software and networking tools, dictionaries, etc. Tons of stuff.
    West of House

Banned
    Because phishphreek80 asked for updates, that's what you'll get: As of yesterday I've loaded the Palm with a Gameboy emulator and a copy of Monopoly and Zelda... it runs lightening fast and its fun as hell....but I'm still looking for something better to do with it.. any ideas?

If you want to put private data on it, I'd advice you to install good encryption software on it.