Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hacks against terrorist

I really dont see how "hacking" terrorists will help anyone.
    1) If it is just a website that you knock offline: the last time I checked, owning a website, no matter how offensive is not illegal. This is true, unless they are planning illegal activities on it, in which case, having it up is a help to anyone trying to thwart their deeds.
    2) If you plan to attack a terrorists network, its servers, etc.: Good luck! If the US government can't find where the terrorist's emails are being sent, then you poking around is going to do little but arouse suspicion of your own deeds. This may well land you in guantanamo bay or wherever they are holding terrorist suspects now. If by chance the US government has found the computers where the terrorists are hiding their secret plans, then anyone attacking them and destroying the evidence will not help any cause, but rather hamper any lawful prevention of terrorism.

I really can't think of any situation where criminal activities would help thwart terrorism, online or otherwise.
    Darwin\'s rollin\' over in his coffin, The fittest are surviving much lest often,
    Now everything seems to be reversing, And it\'s worsening!
    --nofx, American Errorist

Banned
    Originally posted here by kroltz
    i dont want knowlege
    And thus your stupidity will never end.
    And Im sure with a additude like that you'll become a...
    Originally posted here by kroltz
    normal civilan 31337573r5.
    Look man just because your a jobless, friendless, & hobbyless loser doesn't mean you should go around and try to ****up things for the feds and other peaple. Hell your so lame you ask other peaple to get involved in your lameness cause you ain't got any skills anyways... But many peaple includeing me, my fellow AOers, and the feds have lives and jobs... you need to go get your own some time, chump. Nobody wants to waste time attacking some site that some kid made in frontpage as some kind of a joke. Which is kinda like what you are... a damn joke. So let me ask ya this: If you did start some type of gang or something what the hell would you do in the group? Sit on your ass and pretend to be "L33t"?

I suggest you go grow the hell up or go shut the hell up.

I have a question. What exactly is an 'eleetster'? I'm assuming I'm reading the 'leet speek' correctly, I mean, I'm no expert or anything. I understand the usual progression of words into the 'leet' variant, but this is a new one on me... makes me think of some kind of overpaid management type with his beemer and rolex thinking he's this uber hacker because he's got the sunglasses from the Matrix...

Unhappy I can't believe this...

I don´t think it has nothing "honourable" in doing a thing like that.

First, you wouldn't get any positive results ( The site would be back up in a few days)

The porpose of a website is to give people information about something.
    If you don't agree find a way to give your side of the story.... (Not hiding (or changing) the side you don't like. That just sounds like what you are attacking is the freedom of speech)

if you can't convince them, that's too bad, people have a thing called brain and like to think for themselfs, you can just give them your point of view ( another way to see things, if they take it its up to them )

Second I don't aprove the "commiting a crime to get criminals" (then we are just has good has the criminal) -> I know it sound like a clichê but thats the way I think.

Oh, just to end it, if you were doing it for a "good" reason you wouldn't even mention the money.

P.S.: I must have a few words written wrong, sorry about that. I'm Portuguese and I still make a few confusion in some words...

Devils Advocate: I think maybe this marine is just frustrated after walking around Iraq, that a dictator could steal 25,000,000 in assets while the rest of his country was "starving" as stated in various UN reports. Maybe that's it, I just don't know. Perception of what is and is not a terrorist is based on many factors. Violent intentions or degrees of risk at a violent intenion are just one factor. If you "really" want to justify your cause there are always openings within the military and GS arenas. They are looking for people with skills and desire to learn. I won't bore you with governement details but the cyber war theatre is a global focus area with the US and it's Allies. You're in the marines, work at your skills and join them.

Some light reading:

http://www.cdi.org/terrorism/cyberdefense-pr.cfm
    http://lists.jammed.com/ISN/1998/06/0085.html
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/arti...2/134712.shtml

http://www.cia.gov/employment/set.html
    http://www.nsa.gov/programs/employ/index.html

http://www.landfield.com/isn/mail-ar.../Sep/0089.html
    http://www.gyre.org/news/article/749
    http://search.linuxsecurity.com/arti...icle-6715.html
    http://www.dean.usma.edu/Teams/CyberDefense/
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I don't want to be insulting here but how do we know he's even a Marine? The fact that he put it in his profile could just be part of his social engineering scheme. Has anyone been to marinecorps.com? They provide free email addresses to anyone. Also the bottom of the page has this disclaimer "Neither the United States Marine Corps nor any other component of the Department of Defense has approved, endorsed, or authorized this service." Now I'm not American but I'd like to hope the USMC would have some sort of standards when it came to intelligence. This guys typos and grammatical errors prove he lacks that. Also I don't know how it works down there, but wouldn't committing a crime be grounds for a court martial? Why risk a career to do something so juvenile? I would have to agree with everyone else kroltz, you're barking up the wrong tree.

HTRegz, I love some of my Marine friends I have met over the years but they aren't exaclty known for extreme intelligence outside of combat. There is a reason they jump from air planes into hot zones and there is a reason the Air Force has the Cyber Warfare Unit and control of space through Space Command and NORAD.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Semper Fi to any Marine, God Bless the Marine Corp.
    I can understand wanting to combat folks who blow up kids and women in pizza parlors. However I balive the way to do it is from a security perspective. Identify their activity, and monitor. There is nothing illegal about watching. As said earlier. Put on the spotlight. These dirt work in the cloak of lies.

Question

....that a dictator could steal 25,000,000 in assets while the rest of his country was "starving".....
    I post this with all due respect, RoadClosed, but I think he was refering to the reward for Saddam's capture or any info pertaining to his whereabouts. In reality, I think the dictator stole around US$4 billion. Anyways, I heard it was around four semi-trailers (trucks) full of US notes.

Who knows - I read this in the 'closed' media.

And Kroltz, these fundamentalist whacko's that you refer to are completely against Western culture and it's ways. As stated by previous AOer's, I doubt very much that they would use computers a great deal let alone store their 'dirty little secrets' on them.

The websites to which you refer are more than likely loud-mouthed wannabe's that would rather bitch about it and hope people feel sorry for them. The ones that you have to worry about are the long robed individuals packing their suicide belts and priming the charges.

Regards,
    D.
    [gloworange]Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz
    512MB PC2100 DDR-SD RAM
    RADEON 9600XT 256MB[/gloworange]

Well, although it sounds a good idea, it's not.

Like the other guys said it's not like the terrorists will have www.bombtheusa.org/plans or whatever so finding a site of use will be hard. But, and this is my reason for not going after terrorists\nazis\kiddie sites and simmilar.
    Imagine you find a "target" and start hacking in and messing with it, you find some good info so download it and trash the server then send the info to the feds. Woohoo good job...untill they tell you that they've had it under survalence for months, that every wire in or out is bugged, that they thought they had saddams IP from his secret bunker.

Ok way over the top but you get the picture, IMHO it's not a good idea.