Thread: Cisco Switches Vulnerable to DoS

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Cisco Switches Vulnerable to DoS

Cisco released a Security Advisory that a denial-of-service (DoS) condition exists that affects Catalyst 4000, 5000 and 6000 series swicthes running CatOS.

After receiving eight TCP connection attempts using a non-standard TCP flags combination, a Catalyst switch will stop responding to further TCP connections to that particular service. In order to re-establish functionality of that service, the switch must be rebooted. There is no workaround. This vulnerability affects only CatOS. No other Cisco products are affected.
    The advisory states that there is a software update available to fix the flaw for all affected customers.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Sorry.

It was a "headline" on my RSS feed this morning and doing a search on the threads here didn't reveal any previous posts on the subject so I thought I'd post the heads up.

If I'm late to the party I apologize.

Tony -

Thanks for the heads up. I am getting ready to patch my 8 switched at the office now.
    Insert whitty tagline right here.

I am patching mine too. You know what's funny??

Whenever a cisco vulerabilty is released we are all Ohhing and Ahhhing and worried. When MS or Norton or McAfee release a patch we are all "fkiing piece of sh@t, blah blah blah."

I just find in comical for today. Thanks TonyBradley, I am firing up that TFTP for some patching and backing up.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.