Thread: Telnet interest

Question Telnet interest

Hey

Iv'e been looking around that post about the hulla-balloo site (the one with the game). And I got all the solutions by myself, up to the one where u had to use telnet. I admit, the solution to that one I had to get from someone. But.... I want to make up for my cheat. My question is this:

How exactly does telnet work? I'm not referring to mechanics. I'm looking more around the line of commands (i.e. GET, POST, stuff like that) It's just, I kind of obscurely understand it when people tell me what to type, but, then again, I don't.
    THanks
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    If you like pina coladas....ugh!, gettin\' caught in the rain....ugh!\"
    -Sarge

it depends on what kind of server you're connected to... all telnet does is transfer data from client to server, in a most simple/plain text way... if i use telnet to connect to my *nix shell, then i would use *nix commands, but if i connected to some sort of mudd game, i would use the games commands... understand?

/edit-
    http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/Internet/node141.html
    -actual "telnet" commands
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Just Another Geek
    Telnet was originally designed to be able to remotely login a server (host). Telnet is also one of the most basic protocols. But since you are refering to GET and POST i'm guessing you've been using telnet to connect to a webserver and issuing HTTP commands by hand. So if you want to know about GET and POST look for info on how HTTP works.

Edit: If you really want to know about the nitty gritty of HTTP, read the rfc here
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You can start by reading the official RFC 0854 , hope that helps somewhat.

tHANKS ALOT guys, it helps a bunch
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    If you like pina coladas....ugh!, gettin\' caught in the rain....ugh!\"
    -Sarge