Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i realy think than my windows ME was hacked

Win Me.. best reason Microsoft gave for Linux to be installed.. .. There are many reasons why me is slow.. from a hardware prob (yeh yeh ..i know 95 is OK) to a crap program .. or a virus.. start with how the duel boot was done.. what is the boot manager that is being used....

Gore .. some times you are as subtle as some one swatting a fly on their head with a house brick (but I laugh anyhow)

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

You may have a hardware problem old chap!

WIN Me wants a P1 150 MHz processor or better, and will frustrate any attempt to load on a lower specification machine. This restriction is quite easily circumvented by a couple of DOS instructions, which your PC engineer may have used.

My personal experience is that if you do not have at LEAST a Pentium 2 running at 266MHz or better, and at least 64Mb of RAM; forget about Millenium Edition. For earlier processors (Pentium 1's) and less RAM, the best you can do is WIN98 (at least it supports USB).

I have a collection of old PCs, so I have been able to look at this sort of problem. WIN95 will work fine with a P1 120MHz processor and 16 Mb of RAM (memory strips). It even performs reasonably well on a 90MHz P1. Remember that the quality of RAM matters as well: EDO is not as good as PC66, which is not as good as PC100 which is not as good as PC133 and so on..

Win98 really needs 64Mb of memory and Me wants 128Mb to work as well as Win95 with 32Mb.

I have noted the suggestions to upgrade to Win XP..........I have that as well! It wants 256Mb of RAM and a P3 processor running at 866MHz or better (I would suggest 1GHz). On a "good" machine, the XP upgrade could give you between 20 and 30 percent performance improvement over Win 9x; but only with a fast and modern processor, and lots of RAM.

It could be that all your machine needs is a memory (RAM) upgrade? and it will run Win Me just as well as 95.

I notice that you are from Bogota? would it help if I re-posted this message in French? (en Francais?)

bon chance et a bientot mon ami!

You may have a hardware problem old chap!

WIN Me wants a P1 150 MHz processor or better, and will frustrate any attempt to load on a lower specification machine. This restriction is quite easily circumvented by a couple of DOS instructions, which your PC engineer may have used.

My personal experience is that if you do not have at LEAST a Pentium 2 running at 266MHz or better, and at least 64Mb of RAM; forget about Millenium Edition. For earlier processors (Pentium 1's) and less RAM, the best you can do is WIN98 (at least it supports USB).

I have a collection of old PCs, so I have been able to look at this sort of problem. WIN95 will work fine with a P1 120MHz processor and 16 Mb of RAM (memory strips). It even performs reasonably well on a 90MHz P1. Remember that the quality of RAM matters as well: EDO is not as good as PC66, which is not as good as PC100 which is not as good as PC133 and so on..

Win98 really needs 64Mb of memory and Me wants 128Mb to work as well as Win95 with 32Mb.

I have noted the suggestions to upgrade to Win XP..........I have that as well! It wants 256Mb of RAM and a P3 processor running at 866MHz or better (I would suggest 1GHz). On a "good" machine, the XP upgrade could give you between 20 and 30 percent performance improvement over Win 9x; but only with a fast and modern processor, and lots of RAM.

It could be that all your machine needs is a memory (RAM) upgrade? and it will run Win Me just as well as 95.

I notice that you are from Bogota? would it help if I re-posted this message in French? (en Francais?)

bon chance et a bientot mon ami!

hmmm French? Bogota, Colombia; South America; language = spanish just my 2 cents

But hey you are right about Windows Me needs hardware to perform decently
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

I got ME on my box for the moment too. It's true what they say: ME stands for Many Errors .

Personally I too think it's a hardware problem. The higher a version, the more performance you need (most of the time). Windows 95 runs faster too on my PC then ME.
    There are 10 kinds of people, those who can read binary, and those who can\'t.

One of my box has installed Windows ME, initially it was hang like hell. Well, it was due to too many invalid registry. I have used the System mechanic to clear all the rubbish and so far I didn't see the blue screen for almost 6 months.

The System mechanic can be downloade from here : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=98

It's a shareware, but I believe 30 days trial is enough to clear all the Sh*t. All the invalid system registry found by System mechanic is safe to clear.

Good luck!

Originally posted here by jaguar291
    Post the computer's specs... I think the mystery will be solved...

I agree with Jaguar291 here since the more demanding OS (ME) is the only one with slowdown. Posting Specs would be a nice place to start....