Thread: Wh3r3 d1d 7h15 57r4ng3 h4ck3r l4ngu4g3 c0m3 fr0m?

Wh3r3 d1d 7h15 57r4ng3 h4ck3r l4ngu4g3 c0m3 fr0m?

Where did this very bizzare form of the English language come from?

Just wondering because it seems like a completely idiotic way to have a conversation.

I've found lots of Hax0r dictionaries and brief explanations but no real answer to:

#1 Where did it come from? (aside from the obvious)
    #2 What's the point?
    When in danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.

Banned
    This is actually called 'Leet-Speak' and you'll find all the answers to your question to here: http://jargon.watson-net.com/section...eet-speak.html

= Cheers, jag291 =

This isn't a really in depth article or anything, but it made me giggle...I just put 1337 speak into google and got about a million hits, so it shouldn't be too hard to find out what you're looking for.

1337 Speak for Dummies
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Originally posted here by debwalin
    This isn't a really in depth article or anything, but it made me giggle...I just put 1337 speak into google and got about a million hits, so it shouldn't be too hard to find out what you're looking for.

1337 Speak for Dummies
    Thanks! That was perfect. It's all in the search string. I never thought to google up "1337 Speak."
    -Kino
    When in danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.

Haha, I may not be good at a lot of things, but I rock at searching for stuff on Google. Glad you found what you wanted!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

I think it was created by someone who wanted to be different and felt that using letters was getting kinda boring so they started using numbers.