Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 to XP

98 to XP

Hello,
    I was wondering if anybody has transfered 98 files to XP pro? I know the file system is different, but it seems to me there is away. I backed up all my files on cd's with the Nero 5.5 cd write software. If I download that software into the XP pro box, will I be able to download my files from those cd's? I have a slave drive with Suse and some 98 files on it. Will I be able hook it up to the new system and be able to run that drive as before? And if there is a thread that covers this, lead me to it. Thanks.

Freddy
    cybnut

Uhhhm..... Are you talking about programs or just files that your created with a program.

If your saying that you copied an actual program I don't belive its gonna work unless thers a setup program somewhere int the file. The reason I dont' think it would work is because you would not have the registry files that were installed when you first installed the program.

Now if you created files with something like Autocad, Word, Excel, etc. then it should work as long as you have that program installed on your new computer.
    =

yeah...
    why dont u just copy all the files from cd to your xp hardisk.... it is more easier than other method. are u using NTFS for your xp? i've transfer all my files from linux (RH6.2) to XP (NTFS, but the files copied to FAT32 partition) by making xp as master and the second hardisk as slave.

Well, I'm going to order the system tomorrow. Can you make xp a FAT32 system instead of a NTFS file system? I have some of the programs on disc. Will they dowload to xp if xp is a NTFS file system? I also have Redhat 9 iso that I would like to download to it as well. Is the NTFS file system better than FAT32 file system? I got more questions than answers right now.
    cybnut

Yea, you can, but trust me you want NTFS, I think it's ten times better than the old outdated FAT32. So outdated, it kinda makes me wanna cry. *sniff*

That is all.
    Loki

Talking

NTFS NTFS NTFS!!!!

Is that clear enough?

I don't exactly know enough info on why it's better than FAT32, I just know that everyone that I speak to about that point tells me NTFS.

Actually..... This is a good starer for me to learn something new!!!!

I'm going to go and find out why it's better
    [gloworange]Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz
    512MB PC2100 DDR-SD RAM
    RADEON 9600XT 256MB[/gloworange]

A quick google search yielded this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=&cat...+fat32+to+ntfs
    Results 1 - 10 of about 3,530.
    One of the results:
    NTFS.com Convert FAT32 to NTFS. Converting. Convertion.
    ... convert. After machine re-boot conversion process will start and
    you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss. ...
    www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

The reason NTFS is better is because it is a more secure File sytem and a little bit more stable. It also supports long filenames etc. You can choose to make a FAT 32 partition with XP, but NTFS would be a little more stable.
    =

Hmmm, very good thank you. I'll order that new system tomorrow.
    cybnut

Look I don't know why this has become a which is better debate..

]His question will My files that have been backed up to CD from the FAT32 98 be readable on the NTFS XP.. Bloody Hell ..YES YES YES..
    was wondering if anybody has transfered 98 files to XP pro? I know the file system is different, but it seems to me there is away. I backed up all my files on cd's with the Nero
    well the files when on the cd are in the CD-FS format.. Obvious point..
    even if a HDD transfer was involved .. XP has no problems reading a Fat32 partition or Drive even when the OS active part is NTFS..
    BTW.. once the Partition size goes over 30something GB.. forget FAt32 the argument is no longer valid..you have no real choice..
    The current run of Linux you will be able to mount a Fat32 or a XP-NTFS partition.. (atleast in a read mode.. had a copy of lycoris read/write to xp/ntfs.. no probs so Madrake 9.1 & RH9 should..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr