Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hacking The XBox

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Hacking The XBox

For those that missed previous threads on this subject- a brief recap: Andrew Huang wrote a book showing how to hack the Microsoft X-Box gaming console. Originally Wiley Technology Publishing agreed to publish the book, but upon seeing the manuscript they backed out based on fears that Microsoft would pursue litigation using the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act).

Mr. Huang went on to self-publish the book which he sold through his web site.

Now, a new publisher has stepped forward to help Mr. Huang get his book to the public. Bill Pollock, President of No Starch Press publishing, said "When it gets to the point where people are canceling publishing of books, it's very scary. It's a sort of censorship.''

Here is a link to a NY Times article (you have to get a free registration from NY Times to view the article I think): Behind a Hacker's Book: A Primer On Copyright Law

You know if Microsoft would just publish a few technical details - none of this would be a big deal... look at the PlayStation2 -> It's been running BSD for like years I think it's just because it's Microsoft (a new gaming console) that they are under such hype/scrutiny.
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Personally- I don't get it at all. I don't think its any of their business what I do with the product once I buy it.

Books are products under copyright. But, that just prevents me from stealing the work and making it mine. If I want I can wallpaper my room with the pages of the book, use it to line my cat's litter box or start a fire with it. They don't get to tell me what to do with the physical book. They own what is in the book- but the book itself is mine.

So, if I want to buy an XBox, hollow it out and make it into some sort of aquarium for my goldish- that is none of Microsoft's business. As long as I don't steal their technology and come out with my own competing game console system I don't think Microsoft has a right to worry about what I do with the physical product once I purchase it- its mine.

Of course, the law seems not to be on my side in this age of draconian DMCA / Super-DMCA censorship laws.

funny

So, if I want to buy an XBox, hollow it out and make it into some sort of aquarium for my goldish- that is none of Microsoft's business
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Talking

LOL at the JPG!

See? Now THAT is entertainment!

If there are any Microsoft spies lurking here we will probably see the new XBox aquarium concept on store shelves by Christmas.

Tony,
    I agree totally with you on fair use and the DMCA's destruction of it. Its much like buying a car from Ford then having them tell me, I cant work on the engine, in fact don't even TELL anyone about the engine, and if you need it repaired only Ford can do it at their desired price. I have a first print edition on "Hacking the X-Box" (Hence the sig) and I HIGHLY reccomend it to anyone who is interested in computers, or games(aka everyone here) The book includes how and where to acquire tools for hardware hacking, as well as tutorials beginning from total noob to seriously altering your console. He also discusses many interesting security techniques used by M$ in the X-box as well as a basic intro to standard crypto algs. + much more. BUY THIS BOOK IT ROCKS.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

FYI - Another thread, also a link to another thread in that thread....

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...043#post628451

A related article came out yesterday. Here is a link: A Virtual Pandora's (X)Box Opened By Hackers

Tony, totally agree with you that once you buy it, it is yours and MS should not be allowed to dictate what you do with it.

I get sick of the DMCA and all the problems its causing people. The corporations seems to be going after all the regular people for anything that they think even reduces what they can rip off from the consumer.

They always give the same excuse that their sales are affected or their intellectual property has been stolen by people hacking their precious Xbox. that by hacking the system people are playing pirated games and reducing their sales of games bcos of this and yadda yadda yadda.....They are just not happy cos they want to sell the Xbox at a loss to get market in a market they do not dominate. But make up for the loss thru the sale of games and realised that they just got screwed cos people are using the Xbox for other things and not buying their games.

Its becoming like I cant do anything without the corporations giving their approval.

Originally posted here by r8devil
    They are just not happy cos they want to sell the Xbox at a loss to get market in a market they do not dominate. But make up for the loss thru the sale of games and realised that they just got screwed cos people are using the Xbox for other things and not buying their games.

Its becoming like I cant do anything without the corporations giving their approval.
    Hit the nail on the head there. The Xbox is a very cheap PC (about cost price i.e. very cheap), and MS doesn't like the fact that you can fairly easily mod it to run something different.
    And we are not talking about games piracy here, just a decent *nix or Windows setup.