Warning ZoneAlarm v.4 users!

Thread: Warning ZoneAlarm v.4 users!

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Thumbs down Warning ZoneAlarm v.4 users!

If you are one of the people (like me) who recently made an upgrade from 3.7 to ZoneAlarm v4.0 theres something you should know

ZoneAlarm Pro 4.0 May Drop Some Firewall Rules When Upgrading From a Previous Version

Don't rush to upgade your ZoneAlarm says security researchers
    . The full story can be found here @ http://www.securitynewsportal.com/cg...one&id=10&op=t

Users that are upgrading may find that certain firewall rules have been silently dropped during the conversion. The ZoneAlarm Pro manual indicates that "port rules for Programs" from a previous version of the software will be automatically converted to "expert rules" when upgrading to version 4.0. However, it is reported that some rules will not be converted because the new version does not support them.
    It seems theres always something going on with this software. Guess I'm gonna get something different now. ComputerNerd22

From reading that looks like some people are not gonna upgrade ZA. seems kinda odd that it won't support some rules. If ZA was smart they would come out with a update that fixes it so the rules won't be dropped when people upgrade

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Here is my post from the other ZA thread :

Some further digging seems to suggest that maybe Security News Portal has an axe to grind with Zone Labs or it was just a boring week in the press and they felt they needed to sensationalize this for good headlines.

The flaw is not in ZoneAlarm, it is in Windows. Zone Labs did not say "screw you- go buy the Pro version". What they said was that their customers who use the Pro version did not need to worry because it has additional functionality which protects them from this Microsoft flaw.

That got turned around and spin doctored in the press and on these message boards to Zone Labs essentially telling everyone to go buy the Pro version and that they refused to update or maintain the free version.

In the end it became enough of a public relations nightmare that they agreed to "patch" the freeware ZoneAlarm. The "patch" will actually just be an update adding the functionality from the Pro version to the free version to also protect the freeware users from Microsoft's programming flaw.

Here is a link to a more detailed story on the subject: ZoneAlarm "Flaw" is a Bunch of Hooey
    I wrote a blurb on my site about this new ZA 4.0 problem. But, in light of recent sensationlism and misinformation- seemingly sparked by this same source (Security News Portal) I advise everyone to do their own research and draw their own conclusions instead of simply jumping on the "flame Zone Labs" bandwagon.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    draw their own conclusions instead of simply jumping on the "flame Zone Labs" bandwagon.

No one is flamming ZoneAlarm TonyBradley that wasnt the purpose of this thread. The purpose of this thread was to bring this to everyones attention for the people who didnt know. I like there products very easy to use, setup and configure. They work for me when I'm on the internet they blocks: cookies, web bugs, 3rd partys, attacks, hacker attempts, ports, etc...cant beat the price either. I didnt know you had a thread going on about it. I searched the board before I posted this.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

I did not accuse you of jumping on said bandwagon. I applaud you for bringing the issue to the attention of the community.

My post was meant for the general audience who all jumped on the flame bandwagon based on misinformation for the earlier ZA issue.

All I am saying is consider the source and do your own research.

...Or just don't use ZA..... simple fix to an uncomplicated problem.

Again, my HMO.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned

Question

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    ...Or just don't use ZA..... simple fix to an uncomplicated problem.

Again, my HMO.
    Why is it that everytime I see a thread about ZA I always see a post from you telling people to stay away from it... is it a personal grudge... or what? It may have some bugs but what doesn't? Its not the worst firewall.. so whats up? I personally like ZA but use BlackICE....