Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting on IRC

Getting on IRC

ok some people have been asking about IRC so I thought I would do a quick tut on the matter....

IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat - its more or less the same as the chatrooms I suspect most people have visited.
    You have different rooms with people talking in them

Now like chat rooms you got to be on the right server to talk in each room. You wouldn't go into a Yahoo chatroom server to chat in a MSN room - the same goes for IRC
    There might be 1000's of rooms called ChitChat but just on different servers.

There are two main ways to chat on IRC

1. Thro a Java client
    2. Thro a local client (like mIRC)

I prefer the later as it gives you more options so this tutorial will concentrate on that but first I will explain what a Java chat client is....

You can see an example of a Java chat client at Unerror.com - this allows you to join only the one server and limits what you can do....

Now to join IRC thro a local client you will need a client like mIRC - found here

download and instal it and then we can get cracking
    when you run it you will be presented with a lil box with a pic of a guy in the right corner (click on his nose for an mIRC easter egg) just close that box by clicking the X

A new window will open called mIRC options
    Now fill out the boxes like Full name etc - but remember whatever you put in them will be visible to other people on IRC so if you dont want to fill in your real details then dont

the nickname field also needs to be filled out this will be your handle on IRC - it is unlike other chat progs in the fact that you dont register your nick (you can on some servers but not that many) so pick something that no-one else is going to have that will be unique to you.....

ok now above all that is a drop down field with a list of servers - if you wanted to connect to one of them you would select it and then hit [connect to server] but I am going to talk you thro typing in a server name rather than picking one so just hit ok

Now you should be left with just the one window labeled status

enter in there /server irc.unerror.com

you should see some text like
    * Connecting to irc.unerror.com (6667)
    -
    * Identd request from xx.xxx.xx.xxx
    * Identd replied: 1052, 6667 : USERID : UNIX : valhallen
    -
    -irc.unerror.com- *** Looking up your hostname...
    -
    -irc.unerror.com- *** Found your hostname (cached)
    -
    -irc.unerror.com- *** Checking ident...
    -
    -irc.unerror.com- *** Received identd response
    the 6667 in brackets is the port number you are connecting to this is the defualt port for IRC servers

ok after that there should be some scrolling text and then a new window will open listing different rooms - type #lobby

this will take you to the room called lobby - thats it your now ready to chat
    but i will also go over some of the common commands in irc

a command always starts with / to distinguish it from normal text
    some commands are general and can be typed in any window such as /server
    but other need to be typed in the room you wish to send them to

• /me (your text here) - this appears in this way in chat
      for example /me slaps xmaddness around with a large trout
      would look like
      *v_Ln slaps xmaddness around with a large trout
      these msgs are usualy a different color form the normal text as well
    • [/color=red]/nick (new nick)[/color] This is used to change your nick
    • /join (room name) Makes you join a new room - the old one will remain open as well (dont forget the # as well
    • /msg (persons nick) (your meassge) this sends a private msg to that person

these are just a few of the basic commands that can be used there are alot more but many depend upon your status in the room.....in some rooms you will see people with a @ before their name this means they are an op and have mor control over the room (can change topic, kick, ban, unban, mute room, set limit, set invite etc etc) you may also see some other people with a + before their name - this is not much of an advantage as it only means that if for some reason the op's were to mute the room they (and other ops) would be the only ones still able to send msgs.....normally a room is only ever muted when under a DoS attack (someone flooding room) and the + is mostly used as a symbol that the perosn is well known in that room.

ok well thats the basics if you want to know more there are plenty of site out there about mIRC and IRC in general but that should be enough to get you on IRC at least

v_Ln

http://unerror.com/beta/ <- much thanks needed for giving the old AOIRC'ers somewhere to go and argue since the old server was closed - \/\/3 0w3 j00 d|_|d3!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot v_Ln! Just wondering...how many *other* people have asked you about IRC? Also, if there's a specific room (or whatever) that a lot of people from Antionline tend to hang out in, would you mind posting it for all of us who wish to be better "plugged in"?

irc.unerror.com
    irc.loonyservices.com
    shrekkie.serveirc.com

Those are the three I go to, and you'll find a fairly large number of AO members there at different time.

v_Ln darling...you forgot that part about "once you get on IRC you can kiss your life good bye because you're going to be glued to your computer at all hours of the day and night talking about really useless and stupid stuff to people you've never met and likely will never meet"...not that that happened to me or anything....
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

good point debs can tbelieve i missed that

v_Ln

Developer Extraordinar
    Haha Deb. Yeah, that's pretty much what IRc is all about ... it's fun none the less though. Now, running an IRC server. :\ Yeeehaawww.

Oh, and Deb, I would like to mention that uraloony (irc.loonyservices.com) and I (irc.unerror.com) are linked, so, joining either one would get you to the exact same spot! and for those of you that are using something other than mIRC, you type /join #lobby (In this case) to join the main channel.

Great tut for all the soon to be addicts of IRC v_Ln!

Hhahaha nice tut you wrote there . Oh and you will find me there ! Cya there.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Yeah Yeah MB ...I actually thought I'd mentioned that but I was well on my way to drunk so apparently what I typed and what I thought I typed weren't quite the same thing.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Thumbs up

I reckon that IRC is pretty damn good. I have been using it for about ohhhh 6 months or so. I took me a while to get into it, but once I read up un it and checked the FAQ's on the

mIRC site

and also on the same site, but giving a bit of the info on IRC in general (remember, mIRC is just a 'client') at

this set of FAQ's

Hope this helps.
    [gloworange]Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz
    512MB PC2100 DDR-SD RAM
    RADEON 9600XT 256MB[/gloworange]

if you're using mIRC, make sure to check out PnP (peace and protection) at:

http://www.scriptheaven.net/article172.html

-w0rm3y

bah scripts suck ass !!!!

especialy the colourfull shiny 1337 scripts..
    hmmmmmmm forbidden donut!!