Thread: LED Lights?

LED Lights?

I have 2 blue LED light in one of my computers.

I was told that if you where to leave them on ('till the time you turn your computer on 'till you turn it off) that it can short circuit. Another then taking away 12 V from your power supply (I got that covered.) How can this catch on fire/short circuit/or just mess up your computer? I have no problem with this (I had then on for over 1,500 hours) nor do I want this to short circuit my computer.

Thankyou in advance .

P.S: I had this in Web Development and tried to delete (I tried about 20 times 'till it did) and I had 357 post and when it deleted it went to 356. Then I reposted it here and it stayed at 356. Another bug?

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Old Fart
    A little more info if you please. Are these lights "case mods" or were they installed by the manufacturer? Common sense dictates that if the LEDs are properly connected then there should be no issue with them other than the fact that they will probably add about 3 dollars a year to your electric bill.

Thats just my .02....without more info it's hard to form an educated opinion on this one.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Opps forgot the information ,

The computer was built by me about 5 months ago. I installed them (How can someone not install them right? ) It's the lights with the glass, I can't find a picture, but I will be looking. One is on top of the case and one is at the bottom.

What happens is the inside of the light is made of something that after burning for a long time it will have something to do with the electricity, that run's through your computer like a power surge.
    I think that can be why, are I can just be wrong.

Note: This is what I heard from people that have lost your computer from this. Am asking if this is true? Or if it can't harm my computer.

Thankyou, have a great day,
    Cya
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

I've never heard of lights inside a computer ruining it. I could be wrong. They're just plain old LED lights or some other type of light?

If they're just LED lights I wouldn't think that they cold Short Circuit a computer. I have a LED light in my computer and I've never had a probelm with anything ont he computer.
    =

Dead Man Walking
    any kind of MOD done improperly will screw up your system. Personaly i think all the pretty lights are stupid. Are a few lights in the front (or sides or wherever) going to make your computer run any better or make you any more 1337? NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. as long as your power supply is big enough to handle everything you have running ( if i have to explain how you figure that out you should go buy a HP) then they shouldnt be a problem.

P.S. What the hell does your number of posts have to do with anything related to this thread?

Flame on

P.S. What the hell does your number of posts have to do with anything related to this thread?
    READ!!!
    " P.S: I had this in Web Development and tried to delete (I tried about 20 times 'till it did) and I had 357 post and when it deleted it went to 356. Then I reposted it here and it stayed at 356. Another bug ?"

any kind of MOD done improperly will screw up your system.
    Lets go back to 3 grade, capital on every sentence. "Any kind of MOD done improperly will screw up your system." In your opinion.

Personaly i think all the pretty lights are stupid. Are a few lights in the front (or sides or wherever) going to make your computer run any better or make you any more 1337?
    Shows how smart you are . Try this site www.casemodgod.com and maybe you will see what a hobby is.

NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    No period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as long as your power supply is big enough to handle everything you have running ( if i have to explain how you figure that out you should go buy a HP) then they shouldnt be a problem.
    Very helpful, you just like repeating me.
    "Another then taking away 12 V from your power supply (I got that covered.)"

Hey ZomBieMann77 thankyou for your help d00d, that was very nice of you. Maybe this is why you never became a respected member.
    Flame Off

Thankyou thankyou my first flame .

Have a great day and cya.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

*cheyenne 1212 grabs the fire extinguisher before dOOdz Attackin catches on fire*

That was good enough to be on the next Jerry Springer.
    =

OK.. I think the heat is Off...

I think I could write a dozen tuts on "Short Circuits"..

Ok so you have done a case Mod and some bright spark has told you that this mod the lamps.. either LED's or Cold Cathode Flouresecents (CCFL's) .. Well as commented if the mod was done incorrectly ie you commited the modders sin of uninsulated joints.. exposed conductor strands etc then you run the risk of one of these "Live" wires Shorting to the case or some vital part of your computer hardware causing the system to fail.. either in a "damed Crashed" sort of way or .. hmm what that cookin' sort of way..
    Now If your wiring is upto und3rtaker standard.. then your only problem is the extra load that these lamps will place upon your systems PSU.. you may need to do a bit of maths with E=IR and P=EI to work that out..
    Now If , as I have assumed that you are powering these lamps seperatly then your problems are not as bad.. I would recomend though that a Fuse be installed at the PSU source on the Positive wire (yellow on 12v of the molex plugs) just incase one of your bright spark advisers manage to damage the wiring (ie Positive to Negitive.. hence the term "Short Circuit" the electrons take the short path back home..lazy bastards..... ) this fuse will reduce the risk of fire if correctly rated..
    now your chance of fire is only if you allow lint and dust to build up in the psu and other equipment.. this lint and dust is very combustiable.. as well as it reduces the cooling in an around the various parts of the computer..

So If you have no bare wires floating around inside your case..
    and you do have a fuse in line to the "Mod" bits..
    Then you can tell the bright sparks that they are Dim..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thankyou Und3ertak3r that was nice of you to write/help we with that. .

Cya --DzA--
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Lightbulb

Lot's of good feedback!

Here's my two bits. First of all, I can recall the day when computers used to have tons of flashing lights (when I was just about higher than my parents knnecaps). So, I built my own box just two years ago and put (for nostalgic and stupidity's sake) about 24 flashing LEDs of different colours! All my non-computer literate friends are impressed by what they think is a mini super cray!!! Anyway, that's the background to my explanation and insanity.

You can install LEDs in your box (as many as you want) as long as (1) your power supply can handle the current drain (you know the milliampere thing) and the rule here is that you should always allow at least a 20% safety margin, so if what your hooking up is rated at a 5 mA, calculate it as 20% more. (2) You MUST ensure that your connections are correct as per the LED manufacturers instructions/specs and that all your wired connections are secure, and properly insulated so as to not cause a short. Bear in mind that LED leads do get warm to hot and therefore care must be taken in mounting them to be sure they do not touch other wires and have adequate air/ventilation space (around 0.25 inches around). Other than that, everything should be OK. As for spikes or surges, this should not be a problem as all of the LEDs are operated on DC (Direct Current) and while they may add resistance to your power supply (assuming you're not hooking them in parallel or in series with computer components but off their own independent power supply lead) you should be OK.

If you didn\'t want so much, you wouldn\'t be so stressed and unhappy.