Thread: Automatic Hard Drive Back-Up?

Question Automatic Hard Drive Back-Up?

This weekend my hard drive bit the dust and I'm going to computer hell because the last time I backed her up was about a year ago, so here's a question that I hope someone can help me out on.

I am going to replace my hard drive and was thinking about picking up a second one of exact specs/size/manufacturer in the hopes that I could run them concurrently and that whenever I would save (specifically documents) to my main drive that the computer would save an exact, uncompressed duplicate on the second drive. Is this possible and if so how do I accomplish this.

I have seen programs that will do something similar but the problem I have found is that they often use a proprietary compression/back-up protocol for the second save and if I were to try to restore the files on another machine with the same OS but slightly different config, the restore feature won't work (this is based on a past "bad" experience with a Colorado back-up program and another software utility that I used). But I digress, anyway ... can anyone educate me here?

Thanks.

If you didn\'t want so much, you wouldn\'t be so stressed and unhappy.

Old Fart
    It may be in your best interest to look into splurging and setting yourself up with a RAID 1 storage system. That way, barring catastrophe, you aren't ever put in this situation again. Alas, I too digress....

A little more background info if you please....as in OS, EIDE or SCSI, those types of things. The more you give, the more you get.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Red face

Thanks for the reply. I'm just running Windows 98 SE with an IDE (or should I say was).

In any case, I have heard of RAID but isn't it expensive and how do I get this set up? Is there a good reference on how to do this, or do I have to rely on an external source of support? Basically, what I was hoping to find was a way to redundantly save documents automatically.

If you didn\'t want so much, you wouldn\'t be so stressed and unhappy.