Thread: Ex-DHS Leadership Form Consulting Firm

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Ex-DHS Leadership Form Consulting Firm

Many of the leaders of the Department of Homeland Security have resigned their posts and walked away recently. A number of them have banded together to form a security consulting firm- Good Harbour Consulting, LLC.

The executive founders are Richard Clarke (ex-chairman of the Critical Infrastructure Protection Board), John Tritak (former director of the Critical Infrastructure Assurance Office) and Roger Cressey (Clarke's chief of staff on the PCIPB).

Here is an eWeek article on the subject: Cyber-Security Heavyweights to Sell Their Expertise

Is it just me, or does this seem like some HUGE conflict of interest? I guess that its the way things go- many congressman, senators and presidents end up "consulting" once they leave office (or they write a book and do a speaking tour).

It seems to me these guys had positions of power from which to set the direction of information security. Now they (or at least Clarke) are in the press constantly with their "the sky is falling" mantra and it turns out that he's just trying to drum up business for his new firm.

Its such a good ol' boy network that they'll probably end up turning around and consulting back to the DHS on a no-bid contract for 50 times what they were being paid when they worked there in the first place.

Maybe I'm just too jaded, but it just doesn't smell right.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    yeah, but the only contract they will get (which will still be plenty of money) will be the government... anyone in their right mind will know its just a group of old blowhards that are talking out their ass. I am not even sure why a good portion of them were even put in their positions. Nothing like getting an important position because of the people you know, because they sure as he11 didn't know how to do their job.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    yeah, but the only contract they will get (which will still be plenty of money) will be the government... anyone in their right mind will know its just a group of old blowhards that are talking out their ass. I am not even sure why a good portion of them were even put in their positions. Nothing like getting an important position because of the people you know, because they sure as he11 didn't know how to do their job.
    I agree. That is what I think is completely scary- and f**ked up at the same time.

The government decides to form cybersecurity organizations and puts politicians in positions that should be filled by tech gurus. Then they wonder why nothing gets done- or done right at least.

So, these guys leave their public service positions to form a consulting company that most likely will get some mega-million dollar taxpayer money contract to help secure cyberspace- a job they couldn't accomplish when they were being paid to do it in the first place.

I think the government needs to stop paying lip-service to securing cyberspace and bring in the REAL experts on the subject to get the job done. Creating more agencies and more red tape while hiring old friends who have formed a new company just to cash in doesn't help to secure cyberspace.

Originally posted here by tonybradley
    Creating more agencies and more red tape while hiring old friends who have formed a new company just to cash in doesn't help to secure cyberspace. [/B]
    Secure Cyberspace?

Who said anything about securing cyberspace?

These crusty old farts couldn't give a **** about actually securing anything other than more money.

Scary, scary...
    When in danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.