Thread: Kernel

Kernel

I was looking at the task manager in win 2k to the resources the kernel was using. What the **** it's happening. how can a song palyed in winamp get a peak of 80%, my pc's not so ancient.
    The question is: Did a kernel logger exist for win 2k?

Well it has been awhile since I used Win2000 There is Kernel Memory Dump option and you can view or change this option, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click System, click the Advanced tab, and then click Startup and Recovery
    Hope that helps you.

To take a wild stab in the dark, are you using WinAmp 3.0 or higher? WinAmp has long had the tendency to slowly consume resources over time, and version 3.0 is one HELL of a resource hog to begin with. If that turns out to be the case, you may want to go back to the latest 2.0 version.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

This may help narrow it down

Hey, I don't know if this'll help, but it can't hurt.

There's a little app I found hiding out at www.majorgeeks.com called the Bionic CPU Peeker. Basically it monitors your CPU usage, plus a couple other helpful gadgets. Like it also monitors your total memory load and swap file usage. Also, by pressing "defrag RAM now" You can free up a little memory, improve performance for a little while.

Here's the link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=209

If I were you, to figure out exactly what it is, I'd load the peeker at startup, run WinAmp for a little while, watch what it does to the resources, then close winamp down and see what kind of difference it makes.

If nothing else, the defrag ram thingey is useful.

Just a suggestion.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.