Thread: I need help setting up a wireless connection.

I need help setting up a wireless connection.

HI,

I have a wireless hub in which i have hooked up my cable modem. I have my pc hooked up by cable to it but I also have a laptop with a wireless card in it. I'm not sure how to connect the laptop to the internet. I installed the wireless card's driver and it looks like it does connect to the hub but it doesnt connect to the internet. What am I forgeting? thnx in advance for your help and time
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]

Make sure that your IP settings are set to Obtain an IP address automatically.
    =

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Make sure you have the dhcp server turned on in the wireless hub (if there is one....) and make sure that your wireless nic is set to obtain IP address automatically.

What brand hub do you have?

Can you ping the desktop machine from the laptop?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Couple of things to check.

Is the notebook set to get an ip addr from the router? If yes, chcek that it has a valid ip and that it can ping the router. If no, then check that the ip addr assigned to the notebook is in a valid range.

Check that the notebooks, default gateway is set as the ip addr of the router.

Can the PC connected to the hub connect to the internet? If yes then its most probably a problem with the config of the notebook. If no then u need to find out if the router is set to receive an ip addr from the ISP.

U also need to check if the notebook wireless settings are correct. Generally, if u did not change anything then it should work straight out of the box. But if u changed somethign then u need to find out what and change it back to the default and work fro there.

I hope this helps. This is all i could think of without having a look at the settings.

Good luck trying to figure it out.

Important things to remember.
    Turn OFF SSID broadcast.
    Change SSID 'default' name to something else
    Enable WEP 48/64 bit encryption.

This prevents your neighbors from using 'your' internet/ and inhibits war drivers.

Ok lets start simple.

hub plugged in?
    cable modem going to uplink port?
    are you getting a good signal?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

have you checked to see if the wireless card and the hub are the same megahertz? if it is a 2.5 gig and the hub is a 5 gig you may have a compatibility problem.

What is the brand and model of your Hub? Did you set a password required for logging into your ISP on your Hub? I believe that there should not have any problem for the communication between your laptop and Hub, the problem is, whether your hub need to set up a password for connection to your ISP.

Some wireless hub do not act as a router, it will just purely act as a bridge between your ISP and wireless lan in your PC, which you will not be able to set a ISP password in the hub, so you still need to use the normal password verification procedure with your ISP. 3 Com 3Com® 11 Mbps Wireless LAN Access Point 2000 is one of them. That's mean you need to set up a internet connection in your laptop as usual, and just make the connection as usual. the only different is, select the wireless card as the network adapter.

Good Luck.

Thank u so much
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]