Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-tech babble baffles many

Banned

Hi-tech babble baffles many

Most people are confused and flummoxed by the jargon used to describe new technology, says a survey.

Terms such as MP3 and Bluetooth are only understood by a small number of people, a report by a consumer research group found.
    Full Article : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3054210.stm

i though i looked cool by using those terms in public " even my english teacher didnt know what i was talkin about ....but maybe these terms should be easier so that older people can understand them .... feel free to give your opinon....

BTW i took the test , i had one wrong :-D ....

test here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3054782.stm

I just took the test and missed one. It was the one about megapixels. I didnt' read the answers all the ay through.

I think that a lot of the older generation is having a difficult time trying to understand all of the new terms out. I even have a friend my age who doesn't know what the terms are. Maybe they should be easier, maybe they shouldn't. I don't know. All I know is that I understand them.
    =

i took it and didn't miss any.
    which is pretty good considering i don't know alot about computer language. i just knew what they weren't.
    --ZG78

Dead Man Walking
    I didnt miss any just beaucse im that damned nerdy

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Hi-tech babble baffles many

Originally posted here by MemorY
    but maybe these terms should be easier so that older people can understand them .... feel free to give your opinon....
    Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    I think that a lot of the older generation is having a difficult time trying to understand all of the new terms out
    took the test ---all correct, but maybe that was a fluke, being an older people / generation . I'm not confused Where am I? --- has Santa been yet ? Pass me my zimmer
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

I think that a lot of the older generation is having a difficult time trying to understand all of the new terms out
    I took it and got all 7 and i am the older generation

*patting self on back* damn sometimes i scare myself lol
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

/me pets jm and hands him his cane

I don't know where I stand on this...it amazes me that so many people know so little, but I suppose it's because I took the time to learn because it interested me. I wanted to know more than how to send email. It's just like any other specialized field...my husband is essentially a construction worker, and has been doing the same job for about 6 years. I still don't know wtf he's talking about most of the time. It's not that it's that hard, I just have no interest in it, and I don't have to deal with it, so I don't care. Same with my truck. I can change a tire, change the oil and change the filters...other than that I'm lost. I don't even know what the hell they're talking about when I take it to a mechanic cause my check engine light is on. It's simply a matter of it being a specialized field that most people don't know anything about other than day to day use.

Oh, and I got them all right, but I had to read the megapixel question a couple of times to be sure.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by debwalin
    /me pets jm and hands him his cane
    Thank you kind debs

Oh, and I got them all right, but I had to read the megapixel question a couple of times to be sure.
    My eyesight's going and I am confused, I thought that was about large dwarf's, mega pixies

It's not that it's that hard, I just have no interest in it
    Agreed, its all down to interest. I have friends / neighbours who for example, are systems analysts, communications engineers etc, and have no interest in anything to do with computer related stuff outside of work. Now I find that weird
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

jm459 wrote:

I have friends / neighbours who for example, are systems analysts, communications engineers etc, and have no interest in anything to do with computer related stuff outside of work. Now I find that weird
    jm,

I don't find that weird at all. I get to play with computers all day at work ... I don't need to play with them any more at home

Although ... I'm still waiting to get my wife out the door for a couple of days so that I can make my home PC dual boot and finally have Linux back ... but I guess I will have to wait to have a spare room so that I can set up a second PC for myself and leave the Mrs. on WinMe (yeaks! yikes! ugh! I hate the thing, but she doesn't like change )

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by BrainStop
    ... but I guess I will have to wait to have a spare room so that I can set up a second PC for myself
    Confiscate her PC until she has finished work on your spare room, but don't be mean, at least pay for the building materials. OOpps, I hope debs does'nt see this or I'm in BIG trouble
    regards
    jm459
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)