Hackers exploit lax home worker security

Thread: Hackers exploit lax home worker security

for more information please refer to: http://www.vnunet.com/News/1142335
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]

Just Another Geek
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    This is easy to prevent. Just make them login through an VPN connection and use a Terminal Server, Citrix or a similar product to login on a server. That way the users machine maybe filled to the rim with spyware, trojans and/or virusses but these would all stay outside of your network

Edit: Unless offcourse if an attacker can remote desktop (ala netbus) the users machine. Hmmm. Need to rethink this.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I have been successful *so far... knock on wood* at severely restricting remote access to ONLY those with good common computer sense. And only with laptops provided by my company with Windows 2000 pre-loaded and locked down. It's a constant battle though, when users scream that I am holding back products and profitibily by not being a "team player". It's a rough world out there.

When they are connected to the network, the good thing is, you can scan them for virusus, with the right software.

I haven't really considered the terminal server route, because of specific software in use, but I am thinking about it as another option for remote access. Right now I would prefer them to actually log into the domain so I can run all my stuff on their computers.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I personally use a NAT router....
    Non Routable IP addresses is a good way
    to handle these "CRACKERS"!

A Shotgun is another way!

And even a 3rd way is user education on security!
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

For the best protection maybe we should go back to pens, pencils, paper, and cans & string! LOL!
    \"Now yer diggin where the taters grow!\"

central il
    This is why we never allow an unknown systme onto our network...my sugestion if you are going ot allow people to work fom home run a VPN and issue them a laptop that the company secures.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?