Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C P Meinel, Hall of Shame

bballad: you were mistaken about the virus post and read it wrong. i never said it was a virus that was the reason for the non-working spacebar. And ive learned more from Carolyn then i have from you. i think i should be the one to decide who i learn from. your opinion is just that your opinion. dont try and force them on others.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Why the passionate hatred for Meinel? What is it exactly that is so threatening about her that invokes such an emotional response? The fact of the matter is that the teachings are like a salad bar, take what you like and leave the rest for the next person.

Replicant
    It is better to die in vain than to live in abomination

when I started this thread, I didn't thought that it will go that personnal and serious. And I tried to move it General Chit Chat and I think I can't so Sorry. I am sure negative will move it. Sorry negative, I didn't mean to make your work harder.

Things happen. yeah neg wil probably move it. But there is just so much controversy around her. Some people hate her and try to/give her a bad rap such as hacking for girliez and attrition and there are the people that like her. No one is ever going to reach an easy medium on this subject and always fights. Oh well thats the way it works.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    tedob1> actually, if I remember correctly, he is working for a security consulting company, maken pretty big cash, but thats beside the point.

CPM...well.. Yes she is a media whore and the like.. just like steve gibson. Where bballad came up with the idea of cliff stole, I have NO freaking idea, because he never claimed to be an uber-computer god. He admits that he is NOT a computer person. And I will tell you what.. I bet money that Stole knows more then most of you do, and he isn't a computer geek, he is a physics geek. And I can pretty much guarantee that CPM knows more then any of you. Media whore? yes she is.

But here is the thing. Her guides are correct. Yeah they are oversimplified sometimes, but they are factual. She may not be an "all knowing hacker" but she knows more then 95% of the people on this site, and you could all learn at least 1 thing from her. Some could learn a lot more then that.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

HTRegz......Carolyn 'claims' to have degrees.

I'm neutral whether she does or doesn't. (don't care) But she has been in deep doo-doo before (accused of hacking NY Times....then pretending to discover HOW.....and being a hero with the explanation and cure) It's ancient history now.

My issue with stoe is the TV series he had taking about computer security (oh and his lecture series on computer security.) he seems to talk out of both side of his mouth, claim that he dosn't know that much about computers then rakeing in the cash telling people how to secure them. I would have no problem with him if he left the computer security to us I will leave physicas to him. The only thing stole has shown me is that an anel retentive ***** can catch a lazy/sloppy hacker with enough work.

As for Carolyn, no its been shown over and over her stuff isn't factual, she has a long history of spreading FUD then pretending to be a hero that fixes the problem.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ok Girls and Boys........

Until this thread I do not ever recall having heard of this lady...... I frankly still don't know enough about her from this thread to decide whether she is a "media whore" or not....... From that you can glean that I have no particular axe to grind........

With that said, I read the first of the two articles pointed to at the beginning of this thread. My honest opinion. The gal has no clue about what she is talking about and/or she would be a bloody crappy teacher since she is incapable of clearly explaining a concept in an accurate way. In either case the reader would be left with a less than accurate picture of the whole. Her writing style further adds to the confusion since it apears that in her attempts to be conversational and "funny" she further muddies the water. To be honest I thought that this was some nine year old dicussing her newest discovery..... Certainly not something that should be taken seriously. And let's all remember - she was talking about one of the most basic functions of the internet and she described the mail server as a "very, very primitive email program", (or some such)....... Luckily, it is such a basic subject that I am well able to grasp the subject and can see right through the rubbish she typed. Had this been a subject outside my realm I would have a completely screwed up vision of what port 25 is all about.....<sigh>

Therefore, the verdict: I would take anything this lady types with a pinch of salt and then go and find the _real_ information...... 'cos I sure can't trust anything else to be factually correct after reading that rubbish.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I have a bad taste in my mouth for CM because of how she used to leach off of the Antionline mailing list to try and make her list subscription bigger. She may be knowledgeable somewhat in computers.. but I would not consider her to be a skilled hacker.. the level of items discussed in her books and in her newsletter show that... she teaches basic computer skills and tries to tell how it is that the script kiddies use those tools... If she is a hacker, so is the video professor.