Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Card Question.

Video Card Question.

I'm gonna be workin on a computer later today with a video card problem and was gonna see if I could get any Ideas from people.

I just built another computer
    P4 2.8
    784 MB PC3700 Ram
    WD 40GB HD
    ASUS P4P800 Mobo
    Nvidia Geforce 4 MX440 64mb.

OK heres the probelm I face later today.
    This computer currently has no OS on it. When I fire it up later today, it will be only the second time its been on. When the person fired it up earlier today there was no video on the monitor. I had a chance to make sure the Video card was correctly seated in the AGP slot, and it was, I also checked and made sure the monitor was plugged in the back of the computer. I restarted it, and still no video.

thats the problem I face
    I'm gonna work on it later today, but was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what the problem might be.
    =

Without an OS do you really think it should work? I mean there won't be any drivers for the monitor let alone the video card.

Hey I am not sure...but I really think your going to need an OS.

Cheers:
    DjM

oh come on DjM... even with no OS he should still be able to see the BIOS set up screen.... I take you ain't even seeing that cheyenne? If you are I'll apologise to DjM and shutup.. otherwise...

have you made sure that no onboard video cable is connected??

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Originally posted here by Zonewalker
    oh come on DjM... even with no OS he should still be able to see the BIOS set up screen.... I take you ain't even seeing that cheyenne? If you are I'll apologise to DjM and shutup.. otherwise...

have you made sure that no onboard video cable is connected??

Z
    Don't apologise, I don't know what the hell I was thinking....I need a drink. Your right, I'm wrong, simple as that.
    Now where did I put that bottle.....

Cheers:
    DjM

Originally posted here by DjM
    Without an OS do you really think it should work? I mean there won't be any drivers for the monitor let alone the video card.

Hey I am not sure...but I really think your going to need an OS.

Cheers:

Go get a drink DJM lol.

No I don't even see the bios screen. I'm gonn try a different video card tommorow. To tired to work on it now.

It should work though as it is a brand new card, and there is no onboard video on the motherboard. Who knows, maybe its a faulty card, I already have to send a Gigabyte motherboard back because no matter how many CPU's I put in there it says every one of them is bad. lol
    =

My friend's Mobo had a problem with video. We tried AGP and PCI video cards, all known to be good, and none of them worked. I don't know what the problem was, but we just decided to scrap the computer and take the HDD, CD-ROM, etc., and gave the case to another friend. At first I thought it was because it had a P4 PSU, but it had everything connected correctly to the Celeron based Mobo... So it should have worked, but it didn't, so I guess it was the motherboard... Not too helpful, but that was my expirence with video card problems...

/me cringes at the mention of P4. ( I've seen too many of them go up in smoke, and melt into the Mobo. )

-Tim_axe

I've built about 5 Pentium 4 computers and have never had a problem out of any of them. Surely its not the motherboard, At least I hope not. I'm already in the process of returning a gigabyte motherboard because of a faluty CPU socket. This is a ASUS motheraboard, and I have always had good luck with them.

Now If I seem to recall correctly though, I had a P4 ASUS mobo, and I had to use an old video card till I had the OS installed, Then I was able to switch to the new card. This sure is weird though. I guess if I don't get it working tommorrow I'll call the company and have them send me a new one.
    =

bit late back on this this one LOL @ DjM... hope you enjoyed your drink!

I'd have to agree with Tim and say it's either the vid card or the mobo.... have you tried the mobo with any other vid card? Similarly have you tried the vid card on any other mobo?Thats might at least isolate where the problem lies.

good luck

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

cheyenne1212 in my experience the best thing to do would to have an up and running system that you can swap in different cards to see if they work. So like Zonewalker mentioned it would be a good idea to try the video card in another system to see if it works there.

It's highly possibly that it's the video card that's bad, because I have came across these before but the amount of crapy motherboards I've came across out numbers that.

Good luck with that man.
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

I just got done swapping cards out and the card worked on the computer I already had running. However the video card that I had in my computer did not work in the new computer.
    I called the tech people over at this company, and he suggested swapping out the CPU's since both boards are almost the same. He also suggested changing the ram out one by one.

what do you guys think?
    =