Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Security

Question Cell Phone Security

If someone has demonstrated the ability to get your unlisted telephone number and make harassing calls (this goes beyond the normal defenses available to the consumer like Caller ID and anonymous call rejection), would switching to a cell phone solve the problem? Are cell phone numbers traceable in the U.S.? I don't mean by using *57. I mean, can you disappear in the telephone universe by using a "permanent" cell phone number as opossed to a discardable cell phone?

in a word.. NO..

You are as traceable as a POTS (landline) phone.. and being mobile, that is as in the moving mobile, your are as locateable.. and if you think that GSM or CDMA calls can not be evesdropped.. sorry.. while it was only the NSA/CIA/FBI who could do this...wrong..

Cheers..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

On the plus side you can just not answer ananymous calls on a cell phone because they usually display the incoming caller on the screen.

On that note, that's why they make voicemail. If you don't know the person and don't feel like answering it, just let it go to voicemail and then check it later.

I always do that whenever my caller ID says "No Caller ID" or "Private Call".

But if "someone" is like a telemarketer (or such) company, you should just sign your cell phone number up on the Do Not Call List.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Cell phones are the "New" hacker frontier. Alot of cell phone protocols are open standards, 2 examples are already listed GSM and CDMA. Nothing closed or secret about them at all. Others are more proprietary and a little more closed like iDen. But most of the protocols, even iDen are based on the GSM model. But regarless of the system; you have computing devices connecting through the internet. Hackers Paradise for the sort that is eager to learn new technologies (GPRS has my current interest but there are a handful).

Cell phones are somewhat more secure against harrassing calls. You don't get as many telemarketers because the cell company has to eat the air time. Air time and connection time are big money on a cell site. Most are over crowded anyway so large companies are not eager to sell off cell numbers to telemarketers and even make attempts to block them. Most large telemarketing firms are sub corporations of the same companies that own a cellular system anyway. Cell phone numbers are sold in block to companies so it's easy to block an npa nxx that belongs to a company.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Yeah but then again if you are one of those people who are giving out their cell number as a way to get ahold of them... sometimes it could be sold off due to the fact that the company thinks it's a home phone number. You know what I mean? So it's always good to Block it in that aspect.

Though it is just new technology, so it hasn't been hit that hard by the "hacker" group yet. I'm interested to see new protections and secuirty holes that pop up with cell phones in the next 5 years. Then again they keep changing technologies (as in analog to digital, digital to the newer advanced global system... etc).
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    [/shadow]

I use my cell phone exclusivly. One day after writing a check for 50 to the cell company and then 30 to the phone company, I thought WHY? All I get at home is junk anyway. I get 2 or 3 unlisted calls a day on the cell. Not bad because my mom shows up unlisted as well. She lives in BFE.

The issue with hacking cell phones is radio. The access points over land lines is pretty damn secure. It's like hacking ATT or MCI. Not easy. But with some tools and experience you can go in the "other way" I am not talking about a wireless modem, I am talking about things like an RF Generator, O'scope, RF spectrum analyzer, attenuation pads, antenna radiation theories, etc.

As more people start using services that will change however. I'll use me for an example. Not tooting my horn but I have ATT GPRS. M-life they call it. I am in constant contact with friends VIA phone versions of both AIM and Yahoo instant messenger. I can access my outlook account and Yahoo and Hotmail accounts. I have an e-account with Ticketmaster because I am a concert freak. I have ordered Metallica tickets on my phone while screaming down the interstate at 90+ mph and I have ordered tickets to the local movie theater via a Fandago.com gateway while standing in the super market line. I have used the geo location technology many many times to find sushi bars withing a 2 block radius in foreign cities, then read reviews on them before choosing. I fcking Love it! But there has got to be a way to hack it and get all my info. It's got me a little concerned and excited at the same time. There are already mobile versions of Mcaffee for PDAs and more are coming. It's very interesting.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Oh yes the technology is great, and that's cool that you only have your cell phone. Pump up your day time minutes a little bit, and it's the best home phone anyone could have! If the service area was bigger in my town I would probably upgrade my AT&T cell phone to the same service. It's wonderful how every day that goes by it seems like there is something new to keep us connected to the "big" world of the Internet. Personally I think I will stick to my PDA and whenever I do get the newer service I'll just grab myself a bluetooth card. Though I won't be on I80 doing 90+ ordering tickets, that sounds a little too crazy for me *grin*

Though just like you said, with some skills, you can still hack the cell phones. That's what I worry about. The thing is I just haven't taken my time to educate myself on the big technology of cell phones. But then I just don't see a way of protecting myself anyway. It seems like one of those things that are just out of your hands.
    [/shadow]

iDen (Nextel) phones use, get this.... JAVA. he he.
    West of House

Java... as in the what I'm thinking?
    [/shadow]