Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Artificial Inteligence

Artificial Inteligence

Just out of curiosity, hypothetically, if one were to set out to create a large program for the purpose of mimicking the thought processes of the average human being, What language would you use? It would have to be robust, fast, and have the ability to quickly interface with one or more massive databases. and it would have to have the ability to alter its own progamming. I would think the best way to write such a program would be to seperate it into a large number of small subroutines and functions and link them together with a common interface. What would be the best Language to do this in? I only ask because I don't have much experience in programming.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

I'm no expert, but my own fumbling investigations lead me to believe that our thought processes are complex because our brains are multithreaded and referential... in other words, each input triggers pathways to multiple nodes (or pattern clusters) and as the patterns reference each other they become more dominant until they trigger response patterns, and we react. This is of course a gross oversimplification (flinching under imagined flames from neurosurgeons everywhere :P )

The language is immaterial, perhaps something as efficient as possible because you will have a lot of commands to run through very quickly, to even start mimicing our thought processes... the database design is the hard bit. Ideally something with a weighting system, to trigger responses, perhaps activated or cleared with a heartbeat (A timed run through the database), and a way for the database to build and edit itself (without data loss... not an easy task). You're talking a very stupid, slow AI, even with current tech.

That's my best guess, anyway.

i guess u post is related to natural language processing.

well, as far as implementation is concerned, i think the language which most appropriate is c++ with embedded precompiled modules/codes of prolog/lisp, For visual interface, vc++ and for databases, oracle are the best try.

hope u`ve got what u asked.
    SeCuRiTy MaKeS Me TeNsE

I figure It would first be necessary to basically write a program with the ability to construct a sentence, meaning you would first have to create a huge list of english words, catagorized by types of speech(n,v,adv,adj, etc.), then writing rules for constructing different types of sentences, (declarative, interrogative, etc.) from different word types. (basically teaching it english) then expanding the database of english words to include synonyms, antonyms, and such, that way when the program detects a certain type a sentence, like interrogative, It knows the user is asking a question, and knows it must provide a declarative sentence in return, and constructs one with relavent words as dictated by the database's list of synonymous words and, you know, just work on it, later inserting points of logic and allowing the program to learn from normal speech. It may even be possible if you create a program that can understand and interpret speech to allow it to search and learn from the web (yikes, that could get scary)
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

Above post continued.........

Searcing through the database to get the optimum solution , is the most important aspect of any artificial intelligent system to be efficient.

There r many searching techniques which find out the optimum soln`s within severe time limits among a number of soln`s. Game playing (like chess, tic-tac-toe) uses searching techniques to much extent.

so i guess if ur planning to make any such system with human like intelligence then to start with make a game like chess in which ur opponent will be computer who`ll respond to ur moves, those moves should be the best moves among all available moves. u`ll get the logic of such search techniques in almost every good on AI.

moreover if ur interested in Machine Intelligence then Neural Networks is the key to ur question.

wich u all the best.
    SeCuRiTy MaKeS Me TeNsE

I don't really have any specific plans, just curious really. but the more I think about it, the more the idea facinates me. I human thinking is basically the same as computer calculations, with the right code ( and probably a hell of a computer to process commands) I think it may be possible to make a learning program with the ability to understand and interpret language, which is pretty much AI, which can become potentially more intelligent than humans. (whoever does it better be carefull, though, look at the terminator and matrix trilogies!)

You're still thinking too logically. People rarely construct a sentence in their head. Rather, we tend to respond by rote to situations.

Example: A child is taught 'An apple is red'. The concept of what an apple is is stored as a series of patterns: taste, shape (visual reference), and now colour. Red is also stored as patterns, mainly as a visual reference, but it's now also linked to the 'Apple' clusters. The next statement arrives 'What is red?'. The pattern of the statement is compared to stored patterns and the most dominant reactions call responses... 'Red' is fired off, triggers 'Apple' and the link, which is also linked to the phrase 'An apple is red'. The phrase pattern is presumably linked to concepts of speech and the associated motor controls, which fire in turn, and so on until the correct sequences are produced to utter the initial statement 'An apple is red'.

Again, I'm oversimplyfying, but I think the database would have to be a collection of concepts (of which a phrase is one concept) which are compared against inputs and given weightings. As more input is applied that links to concepts, the input is stored as further concepts and given the associated links.

Links must also have a lifespan, depending on their reinforcement.

Concept weighting must also have a lifespan... as input that requires a response is entered, the patterns that are compared that match are given a weighting. The most dominant weighting is decided to be the appropriate response, and the weightings slowly die away over time with the links.

I once wrote a full artificial intelligence program that saved the whole world from a computer virus then became self aware and started building robots who could travel through time and kill people in the past.

No , wait that was terminator 3. Damn, I need more coffee.

Wrayth, I understand where you're coming from, but realize that a computer doesn't have a sense of sight, taste, smell or touch, It's entire world is based on it's input devices, so you must first create a program that learns from an interface it knows, such as text.

acid, yeah, I know what you're saying, but you still need to think in terms of concepts, not text strings. As a silly example, the string 'red' has no associations other than perhaps the letters 'r' 'e' and 'd'.
    However, the concept of 'red' within the brain has limitless associations... wavelengths, red objects, memories, the above-mentioned string, and so on, each in turn regarded as a concept with associated links, not as an individual component.

We need to get the computer to always think of any object in terms of its links, not as a single unit.