Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with winXP plz

Need Help with winXP plz

Hi,
    I have a 20 gig hard drive in my comp. Now when i bought the comp it has already divided it so it is Drive C:\ = 14.9 gig and drive D:\ = 3.71 gig. Now, i donw knowwhat could possibly be installed on my computer but I only have 600 MB free space in my C drive. I know i have MOHAA installed and a few other programs but I know they dont take more than 3Gigs of space. Can u please help me find out how the rest of the memory is being used?

Thxn in advance,

DP
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]

Have you tried clearing out your temp directories? Go into the Add/Remove applicaiton in Control Panel and check to see if maybe some other apps or games might be installed that are taking up a lot of space. I know games these days seem to range from 1.5GB to 3GB in size, so a few of those plus having Windows (which is around 1.7GB typically) and Office (which usually is around 500MB) can really eat up a hard drive these days.

Plus what about email attachments? Email attachments might be small in size (due to the limits on attachments by servers these days) but all the "little" stuff can really add up.

Do you use any Peer To Peer software? Another good source of sucking up hard drive space.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Just Another Geek
    Empty your trashcan and clear your temporary internet files. Also check how big your pagefile (virtual memory) is.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

What you could do if you want to figure out where it all went, you could use a program such as Folder Size. Just install and run to see where it all is. You could have a defective hard drive too though, I had the same problem, I took it to a computer repair store, they said one of the cycles burnt out or something like that.

Hope this helps

I did all that and it only gave me an extra 1 gig....there's still about 10 gigs missing, i have another guest user in this comp. Would deleting that user give me more space?
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]

Do you have system-restore turned on ?

Windows XP tends to make the folder 'system value information'(used for system restore) rather big.
    If system restore is turned on you can still right click the folder and check its size using properties, or offcourse check the size from the cli.

Deleting the guest account will only free up 50-100mb
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

A good way (at least, the way I do it) is to go to the c: and right click on each folder in turn, and click on properties.
    It should eventually count up the total size of the folder and sub folders (least it does with 2000 and below... hope it's the same in XP
    Basically find which folder is the biggest, go into it, and check the sub-folders the same way. Make sure everything that is supposed to be there is there, you'll probably find that there's a few games you installed a while ago that you forgot to uninstall (or perhaps the game saved games didn't uninstall, that's a popular one since most uninstall apps won't touch those).

No deleting an Account shoulndt. You might just want to make just 1 big partition if you arent using that 3 gig partition for nothing, i'm not sure why you would need it in XP. How long have you had it? I'm thinkin a format is in store but i dont know that many details of your problem. Have you ran scandisk and defgrag? What kind of hard drive is it?

It depends on what's in the account. If it's a "public" or family computer, there might be users storing large files on it. MP3s, image files, etc. I wouldn't go just deleting a user's account until you look through it! I would highly suggest doing what Wryth said, and if it happens to be a user or users you might want to talk to those people and find out what they could get ride of. Nothing else maybe the drive did go bad... how long have you had the computer?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]