Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with winXP plz

I do remember one time at work when they were messing about with the domains, and had to switch our user accounts over, and somehow managed to create two user accounts, duplicating the common files, including the desktop. At the time I had a number of huge files on my desktop, which resulted in a couple of gig of 'lost' space till I tracked it down (with the above method). If the guest account was created as a duplicate, it might be the cause... or at least one cause, since I doubt he's been keeping 30 Gb of files on his desktop :P

That sounds highly unlikable. What kind of hard drive do you have dark pheonix?

not sure...just a regular 20 gig hard drive lol
    how do i find out without opening up my box?

My D drive is packed with stuff that I NEVER use....i think its like a backup of windows or someting who knows....its full of .cab files and all kinds of folders, should I just delete them all, i doubt that my comp boots from drive D, this way i can use that partition for stuff that I actually use.
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]

open my computer...right click C: drive and go to hardware...it'll have your CD drives and Hard Drive.

Well was a it a brand name computer, what year?
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

and it has a folder about 1gig big which is called CPWDRV. I have the same thing on drive C and also I have another folder on C which is called CPQS.
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]

It sounds like you have a Compaq or something where they partition the drive and the D: drive is actually part of the restore feature. That's probably why its full. I would watch... but that's just a thought unless you had someone setup your computer for you?
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    [/shadow]

I have those 2 folders In C which don take much space but in D:, one of them is 1.05 gig and then there's a folder name "DATA" which is 1.8 gig. it was a refurbished comp for 300 bucks lol 1.2 ghz. it came with these settings

it is a Compaq. Also the type of the hard drive is ST320410A

SOURCE
    For drives greater than 4Gb, System Restore takes up to 12% of the disk space by default to store the restore point information in its data store.
    20 gig, 12% would take up 2.4 gig by default.

Along with the other things listed (perhaps your computer is installed with the /makelocalsource option) this could make sence.

Cheers
    noODLe

Yeah because the trash/temp stuff you deleted which is a gig, those two folders you found, and the system restore would equal around 6.5GB... plus the size of your page file changing could be another 500MB and if the actual system restore was more, you're really getting up there.

here's another thought, did your system come with XP or did you upgrade?

Sounds like you just need to back your stuff up onto CDs, put the XP CD in, delete those partitions, and then go through and install a clean version of XP to get ride of all the crap!
    [/shadow]