Microsoft Patch Verification

Thread: Microsoft Patch Verification

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Microsoft Patch Verification

I don't remember where I saw it- AO, another security site or one of many security mailing lists I am on- but there was recently some discussion of a free tool available from Microsoft to scan a system and report back what patches are installed on it.

This is different than MBSA or HFNetChk. It was not a vulnerability scanner. It simply reported what patches are on the system already - not which ones were missing or any other security lapses.

Can anyone help point me in that direction??

The belarc advisor is what you need.

www.belarc.com

The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware and displays the results in your Web browser. this just tells what patches are insalled.
    this may not be what your looking for.

The belarc advisor is what you need.
    Thanks. I am sure that the Belarc Advisor would accomplish the same goal- maybe even better. But, my customer won't go for it.

I need to find the Microsoft tool and doing searches every which way on Technet has not yet yielded the result I am looking for.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Updates ? or check in Add/Remove programs? Or are you looking for some specific program that shows those out of the registry for you?
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

I was looking for a tool from Microsoft that would pull that info.

I saw it on a thread or an email recently and even went to the link, but didn't save it or bookmark it.

Days later it came up as a "requirement" with my customer and now I'm trying to find it again.

<EDIT>
    bongpilot pointed me in the right direction with that last link. The tool is QFECheck. The search is over. Thanks for your help.
    </EDIT>

Microsoft Update's site does that for you...it does a scan and then determines what you already have and then what you need. Just go to the Windows Update button on your start menu.

I am fully aware of Windows Update and MBSA. Both will scan your system and tell you what you're missing (although they don't always agree and both may sometimes report erroneous information).

What I was looking for was a utility to tell you what you have , not what you're missing. QFECheck reports back the patches and hotfixes installed.