Upload a File, Go to Prison

Thread: Upload a File, Go to Prison

Upload a File, Go to Prison

A new bill proposed in Congress on Wednesday would land a person in prison for five years and impose a fine of $250,000 for uploading a single file to a peer-to-peer network

Full Story : http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,59654,00.html

Ok if you deliberately put something on P2P that is copyrighted by someone other than yourself ..then that is breaking the law. Facing any sentence or fines associated with doing that is acceptable. You break the law you pay.. thats how its worked for centuries.

Last year, Rep. Berman introduced a bill that would protect copyright holders from liability if they impaired or disrupted the unauthorized distribution of their content on P2P networks. The bill is still being debated.
    OK so "impair" us then ......copy protection is nothing new thats fine BUT disrupted? hmmm
    What I think this means is if its passed through Government it would mean that Sony, Columbia, Tristar EMI, WHOEVER!! has a right to legally hack US as users?!!

So let me get this right if we as users hacked them or DOS'd them or ripped off there copyrights we'd get punished HARD!! If they intruded into our systems or disrupted us they DONT get punished?? WTF?? This seems very wrong to me.
    If the government do pass this bill I for one am going to live on Mars.

Do get me wrong Im not a software / music thief BUT I do think we have got to have some sense of balance here..... In the near future its going to get to a point where simply just double clicking your Kazaa, BearShare, LimeWire, Morhpeous icon will get you landed in jail for five years.

Cheers V$D$
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

These guys are getting worst by the day. I can't understand why all the concentration on P2P when there are worst things going on in the world.

IMO, if that bill passes or any other bill like this, then our rights are being taken away from us. They want to create things like burners, MP3 players etc and don't expect people to share files. That's ridiculous...

And as VicE$DoS$ mentioned is it going to be ok for them to search our PC's? That's too much double standards right there.

Just my $0.02
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...