My HP OmniBook is a bitch

Thread: My HP OmniBook is a bitch

My HP OmniBook is a bitch

Hi Guys, Gals, CIA etc...

Ok stupid me bought a second hand laptop (a legitimate one I may add) from a liquidation sale. To cut a long story short after waiting three weeks for the power supply to arrive I booted it up to find this:

Enter password: [ _ ]
    White text in a blue box. Its definately the BIOS and not some third party application.

So I hit F2 for set-up and it asks for the password there aswell.
    All I can do is hit F10 and pause the screen this is what it tells me:

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
    XE2 BIOS Version DD.M1.02
    VGA BIOS Version 2.21.18
    Celeron 433 MHz

I've spent literally no word of a lie the last 9 hours scouring the web for some tip, hint, cheat, hack or whatever. This is what I know for sure so far;
    • Taking the internal battery out does NO GOOD
    • Hitting the secret hard reset button does NO GOOD
    • Putting in a BIOS update floppy does NO GOOD

The forums say if the BIOS locks you out then your only choice is to call HP... So I did after making me fax them a photograph of myself, the receipt, the serial number and proof of my address they tell me CONGRATULATIONS!! Its not stolen and we can help you. BUT your query is in a queue and will be resolved by Tuesday of next week -- GREAT

So AO'ers I appeal to anyone out there... I aint stolen, its mine I own it, Even HP say I own it.

I wanna get Slackware installed on it this weekend so can somone please please help me (I'm seriously close to tears )

Unfortunately because I cant get pass the BIOS password I cant even say what O/S it is other than its one made by our friends at Micro$oft.

Cheers
    V$D$
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

The only other thing I would kow to do would be to reposition the jumpers on the motherboard. If theres a anyway you can find out the type of motherboard try to find a manual for it. Inside the manual there should be a section about clearing out the bios.

Also one thing you might try that I heard once, is to take the battery out of the socket, then with a screwdriver touch the negative contact to the retaining clip that holds the battery for about 20 seconds. Then put the battery back in and see what happens. I've never done that, its just what I heard.

Good luck
    =

Thanks cheyenne1212,

Well this is the thing... I did try the screwdriver accross the terminals thing I wasnt sure if it was an old wives tale or not but thought it was worth a go....didnt get rid of the password though!! Damn it!

I've had a look at the motherboard and the amount of switches, dippers and jumpers is just mental!! there are TOO MANY MAN!! I'm trying to find an online pdf manual for the motherboard as we speak.

BUT

According to the crack whoares at HP and their user forum doing any of the above will result in a BIOS reset but will not reset the password

****!! I cant belive how stressed its made me..350 for a password screen!!!!

Thanks tho mate all suggestions greatly received! Anyone else with an idea?

Cheers
    V$D$

Hit laptop on floor five times then insert in water. Dry properly then turn it on. Joke

Ok on a serious note. Hp and compaq at least those I know off usually set up procedures to prevent theft so the usual ways of reseting the bios don't usually work.

I would try what cheyenne1212 said and turn on the system with the battery out then turn it off and replace the battery and see what happens. Otherwise I say you might have to wait on Hp. That's really sad man and am sorry you have to go through that but you are not alone.

Tell you what, I will do some research on it and see if I can get you a solution before tuesday.

Good Luck man.
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

VicE$DoS$ am not sure this may be of much help but that's what I have come up with thus far.

HP OmniBook 6100 series (15.1 HIT TFT) Sec Chip - The Hewlett-Packard OmniBook 6100 series (15.1" HIT TFT) Security Chip allows for resetting of Hewlett-Packard OmniBook 6100 series (15.1" HIT TFT)BIOS passwords. The package includes instructions. This package does not include password recovery service to recover the password from the existing chip that may be necessary to unlock the hard disk. This product is not manufactured or authorized by Hewlett-Packard.
    Find package here

For the 6000 series find package here

For the 900 series find package here

I guess each software package is different for each series so I guess if you know what series you have you might be able to find one that would work.

I hope that helps. By the way do you know what series you have?

Guidance...
    Cutty

Thanks Cutty,

Mate!! Thats another thing thats doin my head in!!

I know its a HP OmniBook XE2 but thats it!! My guess (and it really is a guess) from the sticker on the back I think its an OmniBook XE2 DD

Cheers for the PM mate, im calmer today.. managed to get some sleep last night but had one eye open .. just incase the OmniBastard tried to strangle me.

Cheers
    V$D$

VicE$DoS$ I hope you switched eyes during the night so that each eye could get some rest. Look out for that OmniBastard he could be dangerous.

Well the most I came up with for HP OmniBook XE Series is the following:
    HP OmniBook XE series Security Chip w/PRS - The Hewlett-Packard OmniBook XE series Security Chip w/Password Recovery Service allows for resetting of Hewlett-Packard OmniBook XE series BIOS passwords. The package includes instructions. This package includes the replacement chip and the password recovery service to recover the password from the existing chip that may be necessary to unlock the hard disk. Old chips must be returned to Password Crackers, Inc. for password recovery service. This product and service is not manufactured or authorized by Hewlett-Packard.
    Link here

This package appears to be something you would have to pay for and the time it would take to get to you may not be worth it. I guess it would be cheaper and faster by waiting on Hp but that's all up to you. I haven't seen anything else out there yet but if I do I will let you know.

Again good luck man and try to get some satisfying rest.
    Cutty