AIX help needed

Thread: AIX help needed

AIX help needed

helloo everyone...

first of a confession....i dont know a word abt AIX...learning it command these days.

as i was to start from dark i thought AO be the first community to light my way.

The prob is my place has a AIX 4.3 on RS/6000 and they want to me to work on it.
    The first thing to do with this is to attach intelligent clients to it, so that person using intelligent client can connect and logon AIX and wok there...intelligent client can have windows or linux.

all intelligent clients and AIX will be on the same LAN.

for the time being we have connected dumb terminals to linux server. and dumb terminals are booted from a dos bootable and then ILINKS s/w is used which allow them to logon linux server.

so i am looking forward to solution for this.

thx to all in advance.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Hi... glad to know somebody is using AIX too...

I don't really understand what you want to do. But if the RS/6000 has an ethernet card and is connected to the same LAN as the Windows and Linux clients, then those clients can easily login via telnet or Xwindows.

What you have to do in the AIX side is to setup the proper IP address, and enable telnet and Xwindows (both are enabled by default). Then the clients can connect to the RS/6000 by using telnet program (and redirect the GUI display to their machine using Xwindows, if necessary).

Let me know if you need more info this.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

glad to have this option actually we just kept concentarting on the linux setup we had with dumb terminals...we never thought once we are talking abt intelligent clients and we can logon using telnet.

thx for raclling that i am going to look @ redbooks for see how to configure AIX properly...

well mate if am struck at some point may i lokk forward for ur kind help.

u know na just set out with AIX.
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

here is some manuals on AIX i have never used it but documentation is always a good place to start
    http://rsc.anu.edu.au/~harry/COMP/DOC/UNIX
    http://www.mc.man.ac.uk/cos/unix/AIX/
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie...nuals%22&meta=

happy reading
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

thx for the links

Just Another Geek
    May I suggest nuking telnet and implementing SSH2 instead?
    Shouldn't be to hard for your users to switch and your security will improve a lot.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

i will definately look for SSH2 SirDice