Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Hackers

Thread: Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Hackers

Read this interview on viruswriters:
    http://www.idg.net/ic_1326736_9677_1-5046.html
    Another example of confusing hackers with virus writers.
    The person who came up with the title is making some serious mistake.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

el-half,

I think its fair to say that they used
    As a strap line.. The idea behind it is to grab more peoples attention...

The average person isnt going to read an article about a virus writer..HOWEVER they may be more inclined to read an article about a HACKER everyones seen swordfish etc. Strap Lines help to ring bells in peoples heads thats all.

You'll see throughout the article numerous mentions of 'Virus Writers' so really they havent confused Hackers and Virus Writers.

BUT after reading the article I have to say it seems as though Sarah Gordon at Symantec doesnt have a f(_)cking clue... Oh and she looks like a Romulan!!

Cheers
    V$D$
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

Yeah, that's true; the word "hacker" attracts people but I don't think they intenionally misused the word, they probably don't know a virus writer is not a hacker.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

I think you theory is probably correct. Everyone has their favorite AntiVirus vendor....
    I personally am totally biased becuase I hate Symantec with a passion.

Im with you el-half ... They're idiots!
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

WOW this lady doesnít know thing one about what makes a virus coder tick. Unless things have changed significantly in 20 years none of them would fall into the girl/guy next door category, and they are very aware of the consequences of their actions they just don't care.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddhaís?

Banned
    Ok I have to say something about this one. This kinda goes along, with why we learn. What do I mean, I mean why is it that you want to learn about computers or why did you start very simple you were curious. You very well knew when you started the different sides of things; you knew that if you choose you could use the knowledge that you acquired for harm. To take down networks to, Deface websites, I donít think that there are many people that are out there that have been around for a while that donít know how to at least deface a website.

Why donít you, we all have our reasons, I personally find no fun in jacking up a website, yeah it is a small thrill but at the same time you are putting yourself out there for a potential threat.

This is the reason that Virus writers write virus Curiosity. I mean to try something that you are not sure what it will do is just amazing. Remember this Curiosity killed the cat. But satisfaction brought it back.

It is easy to be malicious and hurt every thing you see but what does that do tell me nothing so for the article to hint that virus writers are bad is crazy. Because you can do something that is very important viruses have a very important part in our society, if not to at least play a good joke on a friend. If I remember correctly there are a lot of programs that started out in a virus effort and turned into good programs.

If anything else guess what, that is a potential job, as a programmer.
    Because you need to know a language, or a couple of languages to be a virus writer/programmer. These are things that we all thought about before we choose the path we walked or are walking. The reason that we all know this simple movies have changed the way people view things. There are plenty of people that start learning about security/in-security because of a movie.

I mean come on I think everyone that saw Hackers thought about becoming a hacker. We all came up with our own reason for choosing the road that we choose.

Whizkid2300

Oh yeah would you rather that your child grow up to be a crackhead, or maybe a congressman. Oh lord the world is going to end. Me as a politician. Ha Ha
    Rotflmfao