Thread: Smart?

Smart?

What the heck is SMART? I put a new hard drive in my computer and it keeps saying that a SMART failure has been predicted... The only way I have gotten it to work is by setting it as a USER HDD in CMOS instead of auto and by puting it on the secondary slave cable... When i do this the hard drive(a 180 gig) works great. What is causeing this? I have a p3 500 on an asus ??? motherboard. Thanx in advance.
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

Some BIOSes have a specific BIOS setting to enable monitoring of hard disks that support the SMART (Self-Monitoring And Reporting Technology) feature, which can allow the hard disk to report, under some circumstances, impending failures of the hard disk. . The normal default for this setting is "Disabled".

yeah i know but if i disable it it doesnt recognize the HD! its messed lol
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

SMART is just what DeadAddict says it is it monitors the HDD on bootup kind of like an early warning system. Most people leave it disabled ( I do). If it is telling you that it is failing I would backup as much as you can and don't rely heavily on it for storage. In other words replace the HDD before it goes dead.