Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can i send a message to my friends computer

How can i send a message to my friends computer

How can i send a message to my friends computer? Net send seems to only wokr on my network. I have WinXP,2000, Suse, Red Hat and slackware on my comps he has WinXP. Just a little backround for my reason. He spends all his money on DSL therefore has no phone so i wouldt like to be able to message im to tell him to get on yahoo. I would like to be able to send him a kind of "Pop-up" that doesnt require a client server type connection.

Thanks alot in advanced.

i recommend that you search and read topic on MS-Dos Environment. or if your on command line type "net help" or "help/?" command line can assist you from there i thinks this is the format ---> net send "ip add of the other computer " "your msg" hope give you some idea jst try reading some ms-dos stuff

I have used this program before for 'extending' the abilities of the net send command, it has worked well for me.
    http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/.../default.shtml

documentation for ^ ^

Most likely net send does work. Thing is most people disable that service because spammers use it to send messages to peoples' computers. So you might have to look for something else. By the way from working for an ISP before if a DSL line is provisioned, it is provisioned to a working phone number only. So he has to know what number is provisoned to that line. Well at least that's the way it worked when I was employed at Earthlink.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Gamer: and for that reason alone I believe Kr4y3 is socially engineering us.... Or at least trying to..... Pretty good effort...... Except he screwed up on a teeny detail..... If only he had said cable......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I agree with the social engineering part. Unless I am really out of the loop on what ISPs do in the last 2 months. (Doubt it). Hey I am a newbie myself but I don't pretend to be stupid and ask questions that will get me into trouble. I give you people a lot of credit. For the most part you are smart, at times a bit too paranoid but very smart. That is why I don't accuse people of things that I only suspect. Keep up the good work guys. I learn something new everyday but lately a lot of the new guys have only been teaching me to be a non-believer or shall I say "where is this new generation going?" Try to learn the right way guys. Not take something you hals way know and try to use that for purposes you wouldn't like to be done to you. Karma...

Originally posted here by gamernewbie
    I agree with the social engineering part. Unless I am really out of the loop on what ISPs do in the last 2 months. (Doubt it). Hey I am a newbie myself but I don't pretend to be stupid and ask questions that will get me into trouble. I give you people a lot of credit. For the most part you are smart, at times a bit too paranoid but very smart. That is why I don't accuse people of things that I only suspect. Keep up the good work guys. I learn something new everyday but lately a lot of the new guys have only been teaching me to be a non-believer or shall I say "where is this new generation going?" Try to learn the right way guys. Not take something you hals way know and try to use that for purposes you wouldn't like to be done to you. Karma...

No Sir i ca give you the guys e-mail ifin you would like to ask him. We've been friends fer about 11 years and ive built 2 of his comps.
    And what damage would sendin messages do?

[EDIT] Sctrach that b/c you wouldnt know whose email i was giving you

But how bout this so you wont feel duped into helping a "computer criminal" Just tell me if it is possible ?

[edit]Oops did not mean to make that last post i made sound like an *******.

personally i dont care why he wants to do it....it cant be done! unless you have something waiting to receive a message its pointless. even peer to peer networks have to use client/server for messaging even net send uses messaging service to receive the message.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I find this to be a very interesting topic due to this scenario:

-Computer A (192.168.0.2) is hooked up to a router (192.168.0.1)
    -WAN port on the back connects to DSL/Cable modem (66.68.24.2) {fake ip dont try any funny business}
    - Computer B somewhere in the internet cloud send a message of some type to computer A. But.....Computer A is advertising the WAN (66.x.x.x) address and not its Local address of (192.168.0.2). I find it puzzling to see how the packets send to the router (that computer A is on) and then....how thoughs packets specify where to go next (192.168.0.2) . I'm sure the OSI model explains it but would someone shed some light. It might clear up this thread.

-It's puzzling because computer B has no knowledge of Computer A's logical address. Beh.

Scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.