Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracing IP.....?

Lightbulb Tracing IP.....?

how could i trace someone's ip while he is chating with me on yahoo or msn messenger. I've used the netstat sommands in peer 2 peer connection but it don't work. Is there any way else i could track him down?

for netstat to work you would need to create a direct connection to them. such as the Send IM Image function in AIM. otherwise you are going through one of the companies servers.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

You would somehow have to make a dirrect connection with him and you can you the command "netstat -a" then look for one with "Established".

Then you could find out the location by going to http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vr_main.asp?

I think that is what you wanted correct me if i am wrong
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

Also remember, the 'location' of an IP address is only that of who registered that IP block. My ISP is about 50 miles away from my house, so an IP locator would give my location as that. For an extended example, if I set up a Dial-Up account in Belgium, and dialed across seas from the US, if you traced me, it would appear that I don't even live in the western hemisphere. So remember those IP locators are not too exact.

I have read the replies but no one exactly explained how the IP is traced?
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

If by tracing you mean to find location it was said in the above posts by killerboots and the3ntropy. You could also try a program such as neotrace to find location. but other than that im not sure what you are asking for.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

For tracking the IP of someone connected to yahoo messenger , u have to make a direct connection as everybody has told. But for making the direct commection send him a file by picking up a file in options of yahoo messenger. Then while file is transferred it will set up a direct connection with that person . Then do "netstat -n" on the DOS prompt. U will get the IP address of the person .....

TRY THIS U WILL DEFINITELY SUCCEED

GOOD LUCK
    Twister... will destroy.... everything

ok i think this is what u are asking for: an IP is traces this way....when u connect to the internet, your connection goes through many servers and routers until it reaches from your ISP's server to your computer. Those are called Nodes. a tracing program sends a signal through those nodes and shows you approximately where all those nodes located. for example as the post above mentioned, if your ISP is located 50 miles away from you, thats one node, and thats the closest connection that a tracer would show for u. I dont know if I shed any light but comments and opinions are always welcomed.
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]

just download the angry ip scanner its free and funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn:/
    ?L>O

OK, here is the trick with this. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I did this with AMSN and Ethereal on RedHat 9.0. Basically, you WILL have to have a current file transfer in progress, probably larger than 1024kb. Otherwise, you will get the IP of some Microsoft server. If you send a large file, say, 4MBs, and use a packetsniffer like Ethereal, you will see the persons IP address. This is likely do to the fact that Microsoft will not let you send attachments larger than 1024 kb, but I'm not sure. (I read this somewhere a week ago, I can't remember where, something about that 1024kb thingy). Whatever the case, this is how I did it. You can then use something like NeoTrace or Symantecs Trace, already posted in the previous replies, and find the location of the persons ISP. (Note, NeoTrace will give you the address and Satallite photo of the ISP's location, not the persons computers location, in case you didn't know, I don't mean to insult your intelligence. This was already brought up in a previous reply here.)

Happy tracing!

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.