Ok, I must confess that I toyed with this needing to be under "humor" or something similar, but... CNN's article, Microsoft admits another critical flaw was, rather "enlightening" you might say...

Thursday, July 17, 2003 Posted: 1439 GMT (10:39 PM HKT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Microsoft acknowledged a critical vulnerability Wednesday in nearly all versions of its flagship Windows operating system software, the first such design flaw to affect its latest Windows Server 2003 software.

[...]

Spending millions
Microsoft spent hundreds of millions of dollars on security improvements for its latest Windows software and included new technology to defend against a category of hacker attacks known as "buffer overflows," which can trick software into accepting dangerous commands.

[...]

...all in all, if you can get past the typical or not-so-surprising "Cooper spin" (for lack of better or more "polite" commentary/phrasing), it's an ok article (sorry, I just woke up not-too-long-ago). Perhaps particularly apropos...

[...]

The announcement came one day after the Department of Homeland Security announced that it awarded a five-year, $90-million contract for Microsoft to supply all its most important desktop and server software for about 140,000 computers inside the new federal agency.

...but, puh-leaz... am I about the only one that's been complaining about windows RPC since, well... since Win2k, if not earlier? This really isn't a "new" threat by any stretch of the imagination...

[rant]
...sometimes I just think the so-called "security experts" just don't bother complaining about things related to MS so that they can have something else to give them sh*t about later... yeah, yeah... I know... perhaps a bit of a stretch, but... (*sigh*) *shakes head*
[/rant]