Coruption problem.

Thread: Coruption problem.

Coruption problem.

I have a few files on my hard drive that are corrupted I was wondering if there is any way to either recover them or just get rid of them because I cant seem to even view the files in the 2 directories that are corrupted. It wont let me just delete them either and because i have corupted files i cannon defrag and I REALLY need to plz help if you can all i really want to do is get rid of them they are nothing i want or need anyway but if anyone knows how to get them back i can see how it could be usefull to know in the future. Thanx in advance guys!
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

What kind of files are they and what is the extension Such as a text document would be filename.Txt

i dont even know i just want to get rid of them... I got them from a friend when i pulled out my HD and put it in my usb 2 external... guess they got corrupted enroute...
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

Hmm well you could try deleting them by using the command prompt That should work . I highly doubt you can get them back if they are corrupt.

Yeah, try what dead addict suggested

Instead of using windows to delete them go to Dos Prompt and delete them.

For example if they are files you are trying to delete say file.txt, or file.jpg etc type this in
    c:\del test.txt, or del test.jpg it should delete them.

If you trying to delete a folder I believe the command would be like this

c:\rmdir /s foldername

c:\rmdir /? will get you help on it.

Using the /s option will remove all subdirectories within that one directory.
    =

please excuse my repitition of what has already been said..
    cheyenne's method will probably help you better as it'll delete whole directories.
    but maybe one of these three methods for deleting an "undeletable file"
    will be of some help to you or others that may come across this thread.

method 1

1. Start
    2. Run
    3. Type: command
    4. To move into a directory type: cd c:\*** (The stars stand for your folder)
    5. If you cannot access the folder because it has spaces for example Program Files or Kazaa Lite folder you have to do the following. instead of typing in the full folder name only take the first 6 letters then put a ~ and then 1 without spaces. Example: cd c:\progra~1\kazaal~1
    6. Once your in the folder the non-deletable file it in type in dir - a list will come up with everything inside.
    7. Now to delete the file type in del ***.bmp, txt, jpg, avi, etc... And if the file name has spaces you would use the special 1st 6 letters followed by a ~ and a 1 rule. Example: if your file name was bad file.bmp you would type once in the specific folder thorugh command, del badfil~1.bmp and your file should be gone. Make sure to type in the correct extension.
    method 2

Open Notepad.exe

Click File>Save As..>

locate the folder where ur undeletable file is

Choose 'All files' from the file type box

click once on the file u wanna delete so its name appears in the 'filename' box

put a " at the start and end of the filename
    (the filename should have the extension of the undeletable file so it will overwrite it)

click save,

It should ask u to overwrite the existing file, choose yes and u can delete it as normal

method 3

Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open.
    Close all open programs.
    Click Start, Run and enter TASKMGR.EXE
    Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.
    Leave Task Manager open.
    Go back to the Command Prompt window and change to the directory the AVI (or other undeletable file) is located in.
    At the command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename> is the file you wish to delete.
    Go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.
    Close Task Manager.