Thread: *Deleting hidden files*

Help me pleasseee!!

Hi guys I am a new member just thought i'd introduce myself first.

Well I have this internet problem, and thought maybe you guys could help me.

My problem is when I go to clear the history of my internet explorer it doesn't delete all the history, I clear out everything, my internet temp and use the internet properties and what not but there were a couple pages that just won't go away they've been there for a month I didn't put them in my favorites folder either.

Is there a way to delete them? are they hidden somewhere I can't find them when i do search

sorry for my grammer It's hard for me to explain stuff
    my operating system is windows xp home edition if that helps

thanks for ur help guys

I really don't know what the problem is that you have. But I can give you a suggestion on downloading a program which allows you to see everything on your computer.In effect allows you to delete what you don't want there. The one that I am using is Exposed. Its free. And thats a good thing.

But thats all I can do. Im sure other people here can help you way more than I did. If I did.

O yeah if that dosent work maby try targeting it. Like go to C:\WINDOWS\History then try deleting it manually.

Hope that helps...But remember im not that good but im trying.

Cheers
    [glowpurple]The inside secrets of big buisness are being leaked onto the Net - (who\'s fault is that ) - Me[/glowpurple] http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=419

I've gotta say that I'm a little confused too. But hopefully this will help anyway.

http://webrootdisp.net/downloads/trial/wwsetup.exe

It's a little app called Window Washer, heard about it on Tech TV and decided to give it a shot. Works great. Clears out your temp and history folders, deletes cookies (if you have them enabled in the first place), cleans out recent doccuments. If you set it to "use bleach" it makes deleted files signifigantly more difficult to recover.

Words of warning: if you have any websites set to "remember my password" or anything similar, you'll loose all your data and you'll have to restore the passwords manually. One of my friends says that it deleted her Windows Media Player playlists, but I haven't had any such troubles.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is the 30 day trial version. It's free, but you'll have to uninstall/reinstall it every month if you want to keep using it. The official site is http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/w...sher/index.php if you want more info on the full version or what exactly it does, go there, should answer all your questions.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.

blue_wolf > wrong operating system

C:\Documents and Settings\%CurrentUSer%\Local Settings\History

Delete everything there, that should do it for ya.

For a neater trick. Goto start > run and type in cmd.
    The command prompt will open up under c:\documents and settings\%CurrentUser%\
    Type exactly minus quotes 'cd locals~1'
    Type exactly minus quotes 'cd tempor~1'
    Type exactly minus quotes 'edit desktop.ini'
    A blue screen will pop up with [.ShellClassInfo] at the top, and one line immediately under it.
    UICLSID={XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX} *'X's will be numbers/letters
    Change this line to
    -UICLSID=-{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}
    Adding a minus sign or dash before 'UICLSID' and before the first '{' after the '=' sign.
    Now click on file, or hit alt and then the the down arrow, and save changes.

Now windows will not hide what they think are un-important temporary internet files.

To view these new files, type in, at start > run 'c:\documents and settings\%CurrentUser%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\'. Make note to change %CurrentUser% to the name you are currently logged in as.

Feel free to delete these files that microsoft thought were not important enough to be seen by you nor deleted by you .

Banned
    *Moved from AntiOnline: How do I?* *Thread title changed*

I think you can also change things like:

Code:
    Value -> Persistent

User Key -> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache]

System Key -> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache]
    Value: 0 = empty, 1 = do not empty
    ...and that should delete all temporary Internet files when you close Exploder.

disclaimer: making changes to your registry without knowing or understanding the full scope of a setting can cause serious damage, possibly requiring a complete system reinstall. Please use at your own risk.

There is also a few other places that Windows hides temporary Internet files, above (incl. in such places as the registry)... but I'll actually have to look a bit harder for that when I am more awake, etc. Some have theorized this is part of the "spyware" features found in your new "smart" Winblowz derivatives.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

wow thank u guys for ur quick responses, sorry if it was a little confusing to understand what my problem was with my comp lol.

I tried all the things u guys told me just in case and it worked.

What my problem was that I wanted to knw how to get rid of sites in the address bar after trying everything like deleting temp files and going to internet options and cleaning out history folder the web address wouldn't go away they were like stuck there in the adress bar as if it were added in the favorites folder. I tried to do search on my comp but no results would come up and i tried to reset web settings cause i remember having this problem before.

But i'm glad I came here thank u for ur help u guys are awesome

I think typed history (from the address bar) typically lives in the registry:

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]
    ...yet another one of the "privacy features" enabled by default.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

To get rid of just those typed URL's, with Internet Explorer, goto 'tools'>'ineternet options'>'content'>'autocomplete'>'clear forms'(okay)/'clear passwords'(okay). Then click 'okay'>'okay'.

That is how to get rid of them without entering the registry.