Thread: Help.

Question Help.

The problem I am having is with Windows 2000 Professional. I cannot bring up the start menu since I installed my ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card. I believe it has something to do with the chipset being used on my motherboard which is a Soyo K7VTA-B. Also some of the graphics do not show up in the application windows such as the recycle bin and general file windows.
    This is an email i got recently from my brother down in Atlanta.

I told him i would ask you guys since i had never encountered a problem like this before. Any suggestions on what he can do or what the problem might be?

My first thought was updating the drivers for the video card, but he said that he had already updated the latest ones for it.

Thanks.

I'm no expert, but that looks like an AMD Athlon/Via chipset motherboard? I had a similar problem recently with a similar setup (different MoBo but Via chipset) and a Radeon 7000 AGP card.

I checked the website and found that there were new drivers, even though the ones that came with the board were only 6 weeks old!!...this fixed the problem. So it is worthwhile checking the website regularly, also the MoBo's one.

One other thing, can he check the graphics card on a different machine? and make sure that his box still goes with the old, or another graphics card. The reason I suggest this is to eliminate the possibility that he has got a dud graphics card, and that nothing else on his system has changed to cause the problem.

He has my sympathy! no one seems to want to hold up their hands and accept responsibility in these situations

Good Luck

Yeah try installing the card on a another machine, to make sure it is ok.

If it is ok try uninstalling the card from the Device manager then reinstall, but only use the drivers from the website, and not from the disk that they gave him with the card.

Also have him go to the motherboard manafacturer website to see if there are any new drivers for his board.

If none of what nihil, or I said solves the problem, he can always get a newer updated motherboard for under $100. But thats probably taking it to the extreme.

Hope he gets it fixed.
    =