Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIAA and MPAA Litigation

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...19821-2002Dec20 :
    [snip] Kazaa has become so popular so fast that a coalition of entertainment companies has filed suit in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, seeking to shut it down. The coalition says the service has become a "candy store of infringement," where millions of pirated copies of songs, writings, TV shows and motion pictures are available to anyone, free. [snip]

Rather than saying that Kazaa allows for the free exchange of ideas and files (as it does, solely), some of which happen to be the "intellectual property" of someone else, these groups are saying that all this stuff is free, and that's the poroblem. I find that rediculous. Nearly as rediculous at 19 dollars for 10 cents worth of plastic called a CD, 95% of which will never be seen by the artist.
    Hic ego barbarus, sum quillo non intelligor illis.
    Because they do not understand me, I am a barbarian.

Banned

This is a morral issue

This is a morral issue, and I find the answer in this:

If I spent a lot of time creating something based on which I make my living. How would I feel if people were just doing whatever they want with it? Taking it for free.

This is a pretty easy answer for me. It would piss me off. I mean I created this, and now people are just stealing it from me. Taking away my living.

Now record lables do make a lot of money, but a lot of people work for record lables, not just the president. You have the artists, advertising people, accountents, and a whole lot of other people that come together.

I'd be pretty offended if someone started taking my living away from me. You would be too. The only issue you have here is that, most people who work for record lables make more than you, so you see it as a "robin hood" kind of thing. Taking from the rich and giving to the poor, but morraly, if you think about it, you're wrong.

It does belong to the record lables, whether you like it or not, and as such they have the right according to OUR COPY RIGHT LAWS to do what they want with it. I only am disturbed by this because of the people who do have legal copyrights for things, but simply do not have the resources to protect themselves. These people get screwed over by this the most.

If you were getting screwed over because someone was using something you created to make money, or to take money away from you... you wouldnt be sitting here saying its okay. You'd be complaining and bitching too. I'm not saying something you created to be free, and public, I'm saying something YOU specificly created to make a profit--Like the music industry is trying to do.

I wonder if this shouldn't be moved to Cosmos?
    =

I'm not saying that one point is better than the other, but it was said here, that the radio gives free of charge, copyrighted music because you are forced to listen to their advertising.

Kazaa also gives freely copyrighted music and you are also forced to see their advertising.

The media is different, but is the customer responsible for the distributor not paying for the content he/she distributes? That's the real question here.

--PuRe www.pureescape.net <<~~ Go there now, or getting beaten silly.
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

If you were getting screwed over because someone was using something you created to make money, or to take money away from you... you wouldnt be sitting here saying its okay.
    Uhh...remind me how sharing music makes me money (for the user). It doesn't. Making money off someone else is called bootlegging, and no one is defending that here. As a matter of fact, the biggest issue here isn't even the sharing and downloading of copyrighted music, but the manner of copyright enforcement. Every other product has to defend itself against similar (if not identical) threats. The difference is, they improve their product or the method of distribution. I guess if you have enough money and famous people on your side, you don't. The RIAA has colluded to keep prices high, and that is as illegal as it gets. The price of a cd has not gone down twenty years. Think about it. We all listen to friends cds at their house, at parties, hell, we might even borrow it for a few days even if we don't copy it. But the point is we should be able to do what we want with it. Ford doesn't say how many people can ride in my vehicle. It's mine.
    2.Change the fact that we all live in a capitalistic society
    This makes me laugh the most. If we really did live in a capitalist society, it would be up to the consumer and the producer to solve this little mess. Instead, big business turns to the law. But when it is to their benefit, they scream and cry "hands off you little commie bastards!" What a joke.

nobody including the riaa cared about file sharing/piracy when it was done just by those with the know how to do it. Then along came napster. which turned into something it wasn't created for. It became a means for the masses to steal music rather than buy it if they could while it was devised for students (=broke) to share what they had with each other.

Kazaa is designed for the owners to make money threw advertising at the expense of everyone else. you can say all you want about no centralized servers and ****, but the fact is they deal in stolen property. if it wasnt FOR stolen property they wouldn't make any money.

They've been blantly flaunting what they've been doing. taking full page ads in news papers and putting bilboards on the sides of busses passing millions threw a loophole in the law as long as they can keep it open. They make their money with spyware and intrusive ads with complete disregarde for the users. they pass spyware to everone. they even passed one that was so bad it was considered a virus and made ilegal. when they're stopped, and they will be. we'll be left with less freedom than we had before and a government force patroling the internet.

believe it or not im actually not against piracy, that is the swapping of software and other things amoung friends. i dont know anyone that dosn't do this although im sure there are those who don't.

what i am against is unethical business people making money, telling lame kids that this is their right and giving them script kiddie software and allowing them...no encouraging them to steal files on a scale that no one can ignore.

anyone that believes the internet should be self regulated should shun kazaa and treat kazaa users like the script kiddies they are. Im not saying all kazaa users today are lamers but those that aren't should see the light and catch on to what punchthebaby is trying to say and when someone comes up with a way to capitalize on this, dont fall for the bullshit ... technology is for everyone. do everything you can to bring them down this technology is only for those that can understand it.

those that can do.
    those that can't use kazaa.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

this is a very difficult argument to get into as no matter what both sides are right and also wrong. For the RIAA, legally they own the IP for the music and so should be paid for whoever listens to it. So either they buy the Cd or listen on the radio. Those who boorw from friends or listen at others place are already factored in or are too small a number to bother as the original owner has already paid for the CD. They own it so they have a legal right to charge for it. But legal is not always the right thing. Laws get passed cos enough money, people or power is behind it. Now its more to do with $ and power. I agree that sharing mp3 takes away some sales from the artistes but u also have to agree that it also gives u a wider audience that might buy the CD after hearing the song thru swapping. A lot of those that download would not be buying the Cd anyway cos the cost for the CD to get only one track would not justify the purchase. Although, there are those that just download without a care.

Anyway on the other side of the coin we have the consumer. Once I purchase the CD i have a legal right to duplicate it as many times as I want for my own use. That also means that I can rip it to MP3 to use on my MP3 player. If they want to put protection on the CD to prevent the musci from being swapped then it should be labeled on the CD to give me an option if I want to purchase it. Also you have to agree that the prices of CD havent chaged for ages and initially it was bcos the technology was expensive but nowadays the prices of pressing a CD costs peanuts...maybe even less. So the prices of CDs should cost less, shouldnt it? Why should it cost more when the costs to produce it is getting lesser. R the songs getting better that they justify costing more? I personally dont think so.

I think the RIAA should just grow up and realise that the technology is out there and will not go away. they will spend too much on litigation that will just alienate a lot of customers. They should just reduce CD prices to a much more realisitic level. And probably get more involved in what Apple is doing with iTunes or set up something on their own. They should look to improve customer relations thru this and also find other means. They shouldnt be suing customers, this might alieanate them and get them frustrated with the RIAA that might result in a backlash that bites them in the $%^&. this is the only industry I know whch sues their customers, But i could be wrong on this.

er0k
    im fairly sure the radio is just a wireless p2p server, you can ****ing record all songs you hear on the radio, at any station you want. its ridiculous. heh... the radio ownz

im fairly sure the radio is just a wireless p2p server, you can ****ing record all songs you hear on the radio, at any station you want. its ridiculous. heh... the radio ownz
    Whether or not you were serious:

1) Peer to Peer would require consumers to also give back to the radio station in the form of "files" more like songs for a radio-only look at this...

2) Quality of radio recordings = trash + having the begginings and endings of songs mutilated by ads.

3) You get to listen to whatever the industry wants to make "pop" and not on demand.

Originally posted here by PuReExcTacy
    I'm not saying that one point is better than the other, but it was said here, that the radio gives free of charge, copyrighted music because you are forced to listen to their advertising.

Kazaa also gives freely copyrighted music and you are also forced to see their advertising.

The media is different, but is the customer responsible for the distributor not paying for the content he/she distributes? That's the real question here.

--PuRe www.pureescape.net <<~~ Go there now, or getting beaten silly.

Can someone please respond to this comment, I'm looking for more views on the issue.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com