Security Downloads

Thread: Security Downloads

Security Downloads

Hi,

Why does this site promote anti-hacking and anti-virus software if downloadable viruses can be found in the security download section, like viruses that can crash netscape?

Plz Reply

BD]Hobbit

It's so that people who are interested can test these products and learn to defend against them.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

All of the files available in the archive is just that... a bunch of old files archived. I'm not even sure that it is kept up2date.

Most of the files in there can't be used anymore. They will either be picked up by any AV product or the versions that they would affect have long since been patched.

They are there for educational purposes. How you use it is up to you. Use it to learn in your lab.

I have not spent much time in that section of the site... as there are way better places to look for the programs/exploits/viruses/etc you are searching for.

EDIT: Anyone know how to submit text files or programs to put in the archive? We really could use some updating in that area...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Exactly thats section sucks. Posting rocks.
    [glowpurple]The inside secrets of big buisness are being leaked onto the Net - (who\'s fault is that ) - Me[/glowpurple] http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=419

Reading this thread just after I've seen another discussion on the site concerning a post of 'hack resources'.

I understand and respect the fact that AO chooses to be a forum that does not encourage h/p/c/a. But, since hacking/cracking are the reason for which we have invented the term "computer security". Any doctor, to be able to bring forth a new medicine or a cure for a disease, must be given the chance to either test it, or see the respective disease 'at work'. Most newbies that come in and look for a quick way to hack are only going to find a quick way to a cage and a pair of shiny cuffs to go along with that scenery. Old-time hackers know from a while how to cover themselves.

My point? While AO is great as it is, without too many resources when it comes to illegal computer activities, maybe some people should check their tolerance level a bit and think twice before throwing in negs. I know anybody worthy of staying on this site should rad the FAQ and other threads about rules in AO and I don't mean be less tolerant when it comes to someone starting flames or being impolite [for no reason]. I mean, if someone throws in an advice that may sound... on the edge of the rules... don't get that person banned. You may miss on someone that's actually good.

And many security experts nowadays have either been hackers, or had enough experience about how it is on wrong side of the law. That's what makes them good, understanding both worlds.

My 2 cents. [Payable on death.]
    /\\

Agree totally with u hypronix. There are lots who throw negs around way too easily. Give these people a break. If they do it too often then you can neg them to death but even if they make mistakes without reading the FAQ by posting stuff that shouldnt be, Some of them could be just trying to help or trying to be informative but have posted the wrong way or posted stuff they shouldnt have.

If they dont go overboard with it just ignore them or let them know about their errors and maybe they might realise their mistakes. If you just neg them straight away, they get banned and we might lose a member who didnt know better but was just trying to learn.

I agree but here although you need to be a doctor to repair the damage its also handy to have a phd in imunisation to protect against the problems in the first place.

Originally posted here by mark_boyle2002
    I agree but here although you need to be a doctor to repair the damage its also handy to have a phd in imunisation to protect against the problems in the first place.
    I agree 100%. But I have never seen someone getting straight through without any hands-on experience. Computer security will exist for as long as something - or someone will threaten it. The imunisation [of everything from anything] is a long-term goal. If we don't take into consideration the problems we have now, we'll never become imune.