what is your answer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is your answer?

what is your answer?

I am a computer science student and had a little conversation with a friend of mine who hate computers.

A question was raised in the conversation by my friend that :

"why are u wasting your time to make progress for the technology that will in future lead to the destruction and damage of life and property."

What is your answer to the above question?
    Beware Clarity! A person talking to you in clear language is clearly using obsolete ideas.

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: what is your answer?

Originally posted here by UrDaddy
    technology that will in future lead to the destruction and damage of life and property."

What is your answer to the above question?
    Tell your friend, that you love computers and have no intention of throwing your computer equipment out of windows, thereby avoiding all possibility of causing damage to life and property
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Banned
    Tell your friend that the only way that your computer is going to lead to destruction of life and property is if he keeps saying things like that, upon lwhich time you will throw your computer at him.

Tell him that in the event that, that ever happens we will all be screwed together so have fun now why you can.

Computers to many are a part of life i could not live without a hook up. It's like crack man, once you start you can't stop. Anyone got a needle. LOL

By the way ask him does he have a car, tv, calculate all versions of technology that could very well take over the world.

Last thing tell him to stop watching those damn terminator movies.

Whizkid2300

Super Moderator
    Know-it-All Master Beaver

"Why are u wasting your time to make progress for the technology that will in future lead to the destruction and damage of life and property."
    The's the entire problem with today. When people think of the progress of technology, they think of computers, robots, and machines of that sort. Technology has been progressing since the dawn of man. When man developed the spear that was a technological advancement. When man created the microscope that was also a technological advancement. Technology has always lead to the destruction and damage of life and property. When Horrace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson created a lever-action pistol with a self-contained cartridge, they advanced technology but lead to damage and destruction. When Robert Oppenheimer accepted the position as the director of Los Alamos, he lead civilization to a huge technological advancement, however he himself stated, "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." Like whizkid said cars, calculators, watches, cell phones, tvs, vcrs, dvd players, stereos, microwaves, they are all technology. Ask him to live a day without technology. He wouldn't even be able to use a toilet. I have to agree with whizkid, your friend needs to quit getting himself so involved with the Terminator movies. Perhaps you should remind him that the T3 uses extensive computer animation, and that the theatre in itself is a huge technological advancement.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

The only reason that people think technology will lead to the end of mankind is because that's what they see on tv. Remember HAL from 2001 a Space Odyssey? Who knows what computers would be like if they had emotions? It's just like the misconception that if we ever did come in contact with another intelligant form of life(aliens), it would be hostile and we would have to go to war with it. Nobody knows and it is ingnorant to assume you know where technology is leading. Stick with your computer buddy, so far it has done more good than bad.
    -NeuTron

Banned
    Yeah, I have to say one more thing. Tell your friend to go into a forest without any clothes food or anything and see if, he would make it out alive. I doubt it you can't do anything today without a technological advance. **** not even the Amish can do it.

So unless your friend is an idiot tell him to just grow up.

Oh and for the destruction thing tell him that, if he wants to really see destruction, say somemore stupid stuff like that again. LOL

Whizkid2300

Either the friend is a LUDITE......or has been watching too many Terminator movies.

What about the thought of making the world better? Maybe something you invent, or research on could become the world peace maker... that ends all wars and brings the world together. Maybe that piece of technology would be something to clean up the air of the polution, find a way of not having to use gas in cars to cause polution, that might end world hunger, to end disease... what about all the good that can come from the technological advancements? There is a good side and bad side to every flip of the coin. But what comes from everyone doing nothing? How do we go from bad to go if we don't try because we are scared? As clearly stated above, where would we be now if it wasn't for the advancements already?

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Dose your friend use electircity/live in a house/drive a car/every fly. If so tell him to STFU. Technology will not lead t othe end of the world, especaly not computers...sure advances have lead to distruction but they have also benifeted mankind...so if he wants you to stop useing computers tell him that you will as soon as he promises to live in a cave with no modern items.
    Technology is a tool and like an tool it can be used for positive or negitive ends.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally posted here by AciDriveHB
    find a way of not having to use gas in cars
    Im glad you said that becuase it brings up an interesting point. We already have ways to run cars withouit fossil fuels. The technology has existed for fifty years. The only thing keeping them from being produced are human politics. Companies like Exon have so much government pull that they can keep these cars from hitting the production line. Why? Because the compnay would tank and millions of jobs wold be lost. So here we are destroying the environment, simply because we don't want to lose money. Who is the culprit in that situation, technology or humans?
    -NeuTron