Thread: Cisco IOS on PC?

Cisco IOS on PC?

I've just begun studying for my CCNA and I can't afford to buy an old Cisco router right now. However, I do have a Pentium II that I'm not doing anything with. Is it possible to install IOS on a pc so I'll have a pseudo-router to practice on? If not, does anyone know a good place to get something like a used 2500 _dirtcheap_? I looked on Ebay briefly but the cheapest one I saw was like $200.

Thanks a 11110100001001000000 for any help!

-Steve

Senior since the 3 dot era
    To my knowledge it's impossible to run the normal CISCO IOS on a pc, mostly cause Cisco usely (in most of the boxes) use RISC processor technology, so it's not x86 compatible. Perhaps you can port it to an old stripped down SGI indy or indigo, cause those have RISC R4700 or R5000 cpu's like Cisco equipment, but I doubt it will work.
    Cisco has software called Cisco IOS for pc, that comes with the Cisco Full-Function Multiprotocol Router Card for PC's, but this card still costs you about $1800 for the cheapest version. This way you can turn a pc chassis into a Cisco...

The other way around works, you can run linux on a Cisco, for instance on a 2500.
    uclinux runs on Cisco 2500, 3000, 4000
    http://www.uclinux.org/ports/

Thanks a lot, that really helps me out. I figured it was probably incompatible with the hardware. Thanks for your time.

Steven

Senior since the 3 dot era
    No problem
    I hope you get an old cisco to practice on.