RIAA nails 1,000 music-lovers in 'new Prohibition' jihad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIAA nails 1,000 music-lovers in 'new Prohibition' jihad

Banned

RIAA nails 1,000 music-lovers in 'new Prohibition' jihad

The Recording Industry Association of America's attack on US culture has escalated at an alarming pace this week.
    This signals a change of tactics for the RIAA: as now each individual file sharer is potentially responsible for thousands of dollars in damages. Once they were shielded by ISPs, but in the wake of the Verizon case, individuals are now exposed to direct intimidation. The RIAA is beside itself with glee: and boasted that a thousand music-lovers had already been busted
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/31833.html

This is very interesting memory, you might wanna slap it on the front board, it will probably see more action out there. Just a friendly suggestion.

I guess i'm gonna stop swappin music altogether now. Just pics and documents for me more than likely.

Surely just a small time music sharer wouldn't be targeted more than a person who shares thousands of songs.

I've been trying to follow this closely as I use Kazaa occasionaly, and do not want to be held responsible for over 150,000 dollars. My pockets don't go that deep.
    =

I'm guessing their targeting the supernodes, but you never know.

Right, that's who they are targetting first, the easy to find people. Me personally, I would make sure to set it up to not share any files anymore and to disable the system as being used for a super node... figure that work for now at least.

I honestly don't see how they could target every single user out there, especally those who don't even share files and such. Know what I mean? You might log in and use Kazaa, but they would have to come and look at your system. Where as if someone is sharing their files and being a node, well that's traffic that can be monitored a little bit easier.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Yeah I've disabled the sharing of files on my Kazaa alon with disabling functioning as a supernode.

It would be pretty easy to follow someone who shares thousands of files compared to a person who doesn't share any. I think the peopel that will be looked at first will be the people known as "Super Being" on Kazaa.
    =

Old Fart
    heh...if they are looking for "supreme beings" then I'm in trouble.....or maybe not. I'm guilty of using the Kazaa lite HACK, which makes the Kazaa system see all your downloads as uploads. I can't help but wonder what would happen in a case like that....I don't share files, I don't keep anything in the shared folder yet to Kazaa I'm a bigtime uploader....but my ISPs records will not support that. Kazaa may say I uploaded 400 megs today, but my ISP says I DOWNLOADED 400 megs today....I wonder if by some outside chance the existance of a tool that alters the information that Kazaa carries about me would be enough to get a case thrown out of court. But then again, I don't really want to find out.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Hmm my guess is that they may be trying to launch some form of worm, targeted at mp3s rather then simply sharing. Although... as far as I know, if you buy the music you are allowed to store it as mp3s and even play it through a private [that is, non-commercial or money-gaining] radio webstation.

What happens to hacked FTPs used as storage space? It is stupid to blame the people owning the FTP, and all IP logs are rather inconclusive: use a proxy to hack it, use FxP to mirror it... "oh, it was a friend's server as he told me and I was sending him some stuff he backed up on my computer before he formatted it" [not likely to hold in court but this may happen]

I wonder how many of the kids of RIAA's important figures share stuff online? Or, for that matter, download stuff...
    /\\

http://www.planetmaddness.com/riaa/

just thought i'd plug xxxmaddness 's plan...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I agree with hypronix thought (if I am following it right) that the RIAA need to sit down and think this whole thing out a lot more!!

~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]