Thread: RNA

RNA

I have been spending numerous hours on Snort.org planning and attempting to implement a complete IDS system. All this based on some advice from Senior members and various discussions relating to IDS and linux. Today I happened upon a link from snort.org that discusses the next possible step in analyzing network incidence. RNA = Real Time Network Analysis. Normally I wouldn't be interested (big bucks) but this is from SourceFire (who I respect) and kind of endorsed by Snort.org. What is really cool is, a webinar is coming up on July 29th. Grab some coffee or chips and have a watch... I'll see ya there.

www.snort.org

RNA white paper at sourcfire.com
    http://www.sourcefire.com/technology/whitepapers.htm

Registration
    http://www.sourcefire.com/wp_request...istration.html
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Good luck with snort, I have been using it for about a year now, and have had very, very few problems. It is the best piggy sniffer/IDS engine out there. I have snort set up on a linux box between my server and router connected to a hub repeater, with iptables set to drop all outgoing packets. So it is basically completely invisible.

A word of advice to, when setting up snort, or any IDS for that matter, make sure you set it up 'properly', and know what you are doing. False positives are time consuming and annoying, but are better than not noticing an attack. The best way I have found to set up snort is to configure it to log everything for about a week, so you understand what traffic is normal for the network you are connected to, then procede to implement rules and your configuration based upon the default network traffic. I wrote a tutorial about Network Based Intrusion & Detection a while back, but it would still be a good guide to help you out, here is a link. Good luck.

Snort IS great I agree. I am still playing with it's config. I am using syslog to monitor snort so I didn't install ACID or MySQL, etc. I am regretting it now and may install it later. Additionally you have to taylor rule sets based on your institutions security policies. What may pass in one network may cause serious consequences in another.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I had the pleasure of listening to and speaking with Marty Roesch at a SANS conference recently (for those who don't dont, he wrote SNORT and started source fire). Source fire's RNA looks incredible and much better then intrusion prevention type systems, however, he says RNA will only be released in the Sourcefire appliances and not for the snort open source comunity. I must say, his appliance based stuff for Sourcefire is truly amazing. If only I had the budget to match :-)