Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can you do with an I.P.

Banned

What can you do with an I.P.

i'm fairly new to this stuff and i wanted someone to educate me about your i.p. So far, all i know is that it identifies your computer on the internet. With an IP, can you find where someone lives or something like that and what else can happen if someone gets your I.P.? Thanks...

i may be wrong but an ip adresss is like your home adresss--with it they know where to break in-without it, they don't have a clue
    --ZG78

There are many things you can do with an ip, such as ping, traceroute, etc...

You might wanna check out SamSpade

SamSpade is an integrated network query tool that includes ping, nslookup, whois, IP block whois, dig, traceroute, Finger, SMTP VRFY, web browser, keep-alive, DNS zone transfer, SMTP relay check, Usenet cancel, check website, download website, email header analysis Email blacklist query, Abuse address query, S-Lang scripting, Time. Each tool displays it s output in it s own window, and everything is multi-threaded so you don t need to wait for one query to complete before starting the next one. The output from each query is hotlinked, so you can right click on an email address, IP address, hostname or internic tag to run another query on it.

Zombie that is half true there are Ip's that change I can't think of what they are called but some IP's change and at the same time there is a Network Ip which you can only access in that Network. Then you have the perpetual IP .

Come on what is it.

Yes you have it

That is your own perpetual IP that loops back to your computer.

Static IP and Dynamic IP

Static is the same all the time. Dynamic changes each time you log on.

Static IP's are generally used with cable and dynamic with dial-up. Not sure about DSL.
    KapperDog

I am pretty sure that DSL is Static. I might be wrong though

DSL can be both. Alon with cable and anyother type of connection.

Usually the ISP will give you a dynamic IP, but you can request a static IP for a few more dollars. Cable is also both, however most cable connections never go off so you mostly have the same IP all the time.
    =

Yes ,you can find where someone lives. try visualroute.com to locate.
    TRy readnotify.com to send a mail. it gives you the location.
    I f someone gets your IP and if they have bad intentions, they can use your computer for haking purposes or can steal all your personal information, do whatver they plans.
    they can go thru your mail ids..can read everything on your computer..(if they r good in hacking)

one and zero

Now as I see it all depends on which part of the world you live in... This is what I know :P

xDSL connections, much like modem ones, are all dial-up. Which means they have a dynamically allocated IP address each time your computer requests for one. Cable providers have static IPs.

xDSL does not go off either, it's just the way it is I guess... you alwasy have signal coming from the phone line into your external high-speed modem.

Now having a dynamic IP is bad if you want to set up a FTP server or a webserver on your home computer. Well, not really. For Windows machines there's a program called DirectUpdate that will automatically send your IP address to a DNS-site [like dydndns.org]. So you can have yourname.host.com always working for you... I'm guessing same is possible if you buy www.yoursite.com.

A static IP makes you and easy target when someone decides they want to mess with you. In the case of a D[R][D]oS attack, there's nothing you can do but call your ISP and tell them [there's actually a way but I shall not explain as it is illegal in most countries]. Also, having the same IP means you have the same identity on the net. It is way easier for somebody to trace information back to you [sites you have visited, shopping, mail accounts you own etcetera] like this. And, again, in the case of a malicious attempt, the attacker has all the time in the world to get stuff on you. I mean, you have the same address all the time.

I'm not sure how you can check whether your IP is static or dynamic under *nix boxes, and I hope someone else can fill in that blank. Under Win 2000 and NT 5 [aka XP] go to start > run type in cmd and then type in ipconfig/all. This gives you a bunch of numbers and info you may not understand or need. ipconfig/renew tries to obtain a new address for you, but I am not entirely sure how it behaves for any other connection except xDSL-type ones. Or, surely somewhat simpler [but no fun ] call your ISP and have them tell you.

cheers!
    /\\

hyprox I think that nslookup will tell you but I might be wrong I haven't been using my lab in a while. Thinking about it I need to. I need to go have some fun.

whizkid2300

No Pm the way that your talking about I think that there are several ways some illegal some legal.