Thread: closing ports??

Thumbs up closing ports??

Hi all and thankyou for your tutorials and advise.
    I have xp pro ''PROTECTED" with zone alarm pro and northonAV2003When querring open and listening ports with netstat and seeing all ports there is it possible to ''KILL'' open or listening port with specific DOS command?
    How i can close some ports and are there any which I/WE would be better off not to have open?
    read here about netbios ones-what means when i have *:*next to netbios-dgm?
    netbios-ssn listening?
    netbios-ns *:*?
    port 139 is not there(if i followed properly your advice in previous posts) thats netbios one?
    dont have port 23 there nor 80.
    thankyou

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    is it possible to ''KILL'' open or listening port with specific DOS command?
    Yes, although this is not going to solve your problem. On XP, go to the command prompt and type taskkill /? and select the switches you want to use.

How i can close some ports and are there any which I/WE would be better off not to have open?
    read here about netbios ones-what means when i have *:*next to netbios-dgm?
    netbios-ssn listening?
    netbios-ns *:*?
    port 139 is not there(if i followed properly your advice in previous posts) thats netbios one?
    Well you can look at the services under control panel and disable computer browser, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper and to get rid of CIFS, you need to stop the Server service

Go into network connections, TCP/IP, advanced, WINS, and disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. This should get you started in the right direction.

There are *many* posts dealing with ports and services. Search the site and you'll get more info than you know what to do with.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

A list of commonly-used ports can be found at:
    http://www.opendoor.com/doorstop/ports.html

If you see one of the listed ports open, then make sure you realize you are running that service. For example, if a netstat reveals a port listening on 22, you have SSH service running. If you are running this for a purpose, then it's not a problem, but if you did not realize it was running and you don't want it, do as thehorse suggested, and search for the source of the service and how to shut it down.

Another thing is that ports above 1024 are typically used by applications, such as Kazaa, so be aware of that. Make sure you are aware of the port range that your applications use (somewhere in the settings) and if you see something outside that range, a trojan or something else may be on your system.

dont have port 23 there nor 80.
    Some of the more common ports will actually be listed as [machinename]:[servicename]
    i.e. alastair:http instead of alastair:80, so keep your eye open for those as well.

Good luck!
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca